Share on Facebook

Thread: Another Sutta Similar To Kalama?

Another Sutta Similar To Kalama?

I seem to remember reading a sutta that essentially said "don't get sucked into the argument 'My Dharma's Better Than Your Dharma'". This is similar to the sentiment in the Kalama Sutta, but I think there was another one more to the point.

I tried searching Access To Insight but couldn't find anything. Anyone got any thoughts as to what it might have been?

Fugu

Hi Fugu,

I don't know of a sutta similar to the Kalama Sutta. However, you might find these comments about the Kalama sutta of interest in the transcript of a talk from the late Bhikkhu Buddhadasa.

Help! The Kalama Sutta, Help!

All people in the world, including the Thai people, are now in the same situation as were the Kalama people in Kesaputta township, India, during the time of the Buddha. Their village was in a location through which many religious teachers frequently passed. Each of these teachers taught that his personal doctrine was the only truth, and that all others before and after him were wrong. The Kalamas could not decide which doctrine they should accept and follow. When the Buddha once visited their village, the Kalamas brought up their problem with him: they did not know which teacher to believe. Consequently, the Buddha taught them what is now known as the Kalama Sutta, which we will examine here.

Nowadays, worldly people study many different approaches to economic, social, and technological development. The universities teach just about everything. Then, regarding spiritual matter, here in Thailand alone we have so many teachers, so many interpretations of the Buddha’s teachings, and so many meditation centers that nobody knows which teaching to accept or which practice to follow. Thus, it can be said that we have fallen into the same position as the Kalamas were in two millennia ago.

Continued here

Reference for the Kalama Sutta AN 3.65

Thank you, Aloka, that article was interesting. I guess what I read in the past must have been someone else's analysis of the Kalama.

Fugu

In the Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta, there are the words:

Knowing thus and seeing thus, would you say, 'The Teacher is our respected mentor. We speak thus out of respect for the Teacher'?

No, lord.

Knowing thus and seeing thus, would you say, 'The Contemplative says this. We speak thus in line with the Contemplative's words'?

No, lord.

Is it the case that you speak simply in line with what you have known, seen & understood for yourselves?

Yes, lord.

Good, monks. You have been guided by me in this Dhamma which is to be seen here & now, timeless [immediately effective], inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the observant for themselves. For it has been said, 'This Dhamma is to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be by the observant for themselves,' and it was in reference to this that it was said.

I like to pair this Sutta with the Kalama Sutta--as it directly takes you to the criteria of rejection or acceptance--the presence or the absence of greed, hatred, or delusion within a doctrine. Anything that preaches greed, hatred, or delusion is for long term harm, no matter how much pretzel logic you try to apply to it.

Salha Sutta: To Salha

seattlegal:

Thank you for that reference. It hits home to some of the things that have been bothering me.

Sorry for the lateness in response; I have been down and out in hospital.

Gassho,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
    seattlegal:

Thank you for that reference. It hits home to some of the things that have been bothering me.

Sorry for the lateness in response; I have been down and out in hospital.

Gassho,

Lee
    I wish you a speedy recovery, Lee.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 3:05 AM Fri, 5:05 AM Fri, 11:05 AM Fri, 4:35 PM Fri, 7:05 PM Fri, 10:05 PM