Share on Facebook
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious
    If you want to continue this discussion please start a new thread as Aloka suggested
    I have started a thread in our Daily Life forum with some comments DaveRupa posted in the New Member Introductions area:

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...7269#post67269

Previous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    Could you mention what conflicts in the pali cannon you referr to? Or is that obvious if I read your essay?
    It's not my essay that I was linking to, but an essay by Brahmali and Sujato. I think it has two different chapters that discuss contradictions and oddities; they present these examples because, from their perspective (not mine), these are evidence of the historical accuracy of the texts. I would say that they're evidence of the distinctive style of the texts, but don't indicate historical reality one way or the other (something already discussed on my blog and in my youtube videos, from various angles, I think).

If you'd like to see an essay of mine that discusses some of these issues (or, at least, issues closely related in my own imagination), see the topic I've spun off here.

I read the other thread but not the sources. I will consider reading them but mainly I avoid all commentaries and texts about the suttas in order not to cloud my own original understanding of them. So I normally stick to the suttas themselves.
    That was my attitude for the first several years that I studied Pali. However, I evolved from regarding commentaries as the devil to regarding human stupidity and intellectual dishonesty as the more fundamental problem. I learned, eventually, that the commentaries are less problematic than the use that modern interpreters make of them. However, if you can't read Pali at all, the morass of commentaries does just make your life miserable, and you're better off struggling with a smaller set of texts, and using the most ancient texts possible (basically, the first four Nikayas).

I think you are right about the conflict between Mahayana and Theravada. I have seen the other side of the conflict when in Sri Lanka.
    It is ugly, but it is (perhaps?) less ugly than the conflict between Buddhism and , or Buddhism and Christianity, etc. --so it is understandable that many people want to pretend it isn't ugly at all.

If you were living in Sri Lanka or Myanmar (a.k.a. Burma) right now, you'd probably be more concerned about a long list of religious and political issues before you'd even get around to worrying about Mahayana vs. Theravada; however, it is genuinely worth worrying about.

In my own mind I cannot understand some of the heated emotions in this conflict. Even expressed by chief monks in the theravada tradition. Such outbursts have so far only lead me to dismiss them as teachers since not even I with my limited cultivation get annoyed in that manner anymore.
    On the other hand, when you're surrounded by indolence, indifference and corruption, you may find it refreshing to meet anyone with such strong emotions.
    Last edited by The Brink; 04 May 14 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by The Brink View Post

It is ugly, but it is (perhaps?) less ugly than the conflict between Buddhism and , or Buddhism and Christianity, etc. --so it is understandable that many people want to pretend it isn't ugly at all.
    I am at a loss for words regarding this. It saddens me to no end. Sri Lanka used to be such an openminded place. At christmas we went to our christian friends to celebrate and vice versa and now this bs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Brink View Post
    On the other hand, when you're surrounded by indolence, indifference and corruption, you may find it refreshing to meet anyone with such strong emotions.
    I am not truly a friend of emotion. It clouds everyones judgment. I avoid it as often as I can. Mine and others.

“May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with Humans? I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant.” -Spock.

/Victor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 11:22 PM Tue, 1:22 AM Tue, 7:22 AM Tue, 11:52 AM Tue, 2:22 PM Tue, 5:22 PM