Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

Thread: How was your week ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Happy to know things are going well for you, Gene. Hope you have a lovely weekend too.

With lots of good wishes,

Aloka
    Thanks for your kind words Aloka,
    And I hope you are recovering from your Flu.

Kind regards,

Gene

Thank you Gene, I'm fully recovered from the 'flu now.

How's everybody else getting on?

Doing well, getting ready to visit family on Monday. Lots of driving involved. About 8 hours total. Hopefully the traffic won’t be too bad. I think it’s the busiest travel day in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans
    I think it’s the busiest travel day in the year.
    Hope you had a safe journey ....and that everyone else at BWB is healthy and happy!

We did. Seeing family makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for your kind thoughts

Experienced an opportunity to practice "mental equanimity" over the holidays due to the diagnosis and later death of our almost six year old lab-hound mix, as she was suffering from a nasal adenoma, which had spread through metastasis to her lymph nodes, and producing a tumor large enough to impinge on her frontal cortex resulting in profound behavioral changes: loss of the ability / motivation to bark, staggering, seizures, and blindness in her right eye.

Since the neurologist advised us that she was in severe pain my wife and I decided to euthanize her, which was a very difficult decision, to say the least.

Originally (over a month ago) our new and inexperienced vet gave up on her as having an un-diagnosable painful condition as she was yelping when you touched her head or ribs, which we had to do to put her in the back of our car for transport. His solution was to put her on pain killers.

Later after a second exam by a more experienced vet, we were referred by her to an animal neurologist, who, after a CAT scan correctly diagnosed her condition and recommended euthanasia as radiation and chemotherapy could only produce minor elongation of her life-span and would still leave her in great pain, if not worse pain.

So, sorry to be wet blanket. Happy New Year to everyone!

Wife is still grieving. I am also grieving due to my wife's grieving, having been reminded that "love" is just another name for attachment, which as we all know causes suffering.
    Last edited by Olderon; 01 Jan 19 at 17:13.

I'm so sorry about your dog, Ron. I know how it feels when a much loved pet gets sick and passes away.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Ron, I'm also sorry to hear of your loss. A dog is always one of the family and a dear friend.

You've done well to maintain connected to equanimity. It's the difficult times that are the tests of our commitment to the practice.

HI Ron,

Sorry for your loss. We also had to euthanize our Dog a few years ago because he became very sick and was suffering. I do feel that Dogs are not just pets, they are family members and know that its difficult to let go of a loved one.

Take care of yourself

Regards
    Gene

Thanks, Gene.

My concern regarding euthanasia is the conflict with The First Precept: "Do no harm." There is always a mental process of justifying taking a life. The process brings us directly to grips with doing nothing causes more harm, but it always sounds like rationalization to me. Had to go through the process with three dogs, a grandmother, and a few aunts. No species, however, bothers me more than our dogs. We have always left the decision to pull the plug to the physicians with our relatives, but not so with our dogs. It is always truly heart weighing with our pets, as they never have any input into the matter, other than their physical limitations.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 12:45 PM Mon, 2:45 PM Mon, 8:45 PM Tue, 2:15 AM Tue, 4:45 AM Tue, 7:45 AM