Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: How was your week ?

Hi, gang.

Thanks to the excellent skills of the Cardiac Catheterization crew @ Concord Hospital, I pulled through the deeply personal inter-vascular exploration with a success rate of 100%. My aortic valve was found to be worthy of replacement, and the necessary veins and arteries to support this effort seem to be adequate.

Interestingly, a previous bypass surgery done twenty years ago was only 50% successful, as one of the two bypasses has all but occluded. Ironically and fortunately for my heart, the artery bypassed had since opened leaving my heart fully supplied with the necessary oxygen and nutrients to keep it ticking. Therefore, the replacement of the now mostly defunct aortic valve is a "go".

The process I hope to use is called The Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement process, which is described below for review by anyone interested:

American Heart Association:

https://newheartvalve.com/tavr-treat...iAAEgIFC_D_BwE

Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384698

The advantage of TAVR over open heart surgery is two fold: First it has a two day recovery period vs. two or more weeks with open heart. This one really appeals to me because my lawn grows to its maximum healthy length within three days. Secondly, if the TAVR valve fails it has similar warning properties to that of a native valve failure, which allows a good chance for another replacement.

If the replacement is successful, perhaps I will consider taking The Bodhisattva Vow, and hang around till all sentient beings attain nirvanha / nibanna.
    Last edited by Olderon; 22 Jun 18 at 02:44.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Ron, that's good news. Thanks for all the details. You are wonderfully upbeat and cheerful about it. I don't imagine I could be so positive.

It's clear to me that you don't intend to let the grass get overgrown! Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon
    Thanks to the excellent skills of the Cardiac Catheterization crew @ Concord Hospital, I pulled through the deeply personal inter-vascular exploration with a success rate of 100%. My aortic valve was found to be worthy of replacement, and the necessary veins and arteries to support this effort seem to be adequate
    Well done, Ron! Keep us posted about when you're going to have the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post
    Hi, gang.

Thanks to the excellent skills of the Cardiac Catheterization crew @ Concord Hospital, I pulled through the deeply personal inter-vascular exploration with a success rate of 100%. My aortic valve was found to be worthy of replacement, and the necessary veins and arteries to support this effort seem to be adequate.

Interestingly, a previous bypass surgery done twenty years ago was only 50% successful, as one of the two bypasses has all but occluded. Ironically and fortunately for my heart, the artery bypassed had since opened leaving my heart fully supplied with the necessary oxygen and nutrients to keep it ticking. Therefore, the replacement of the now mostly defunct aortic valve is a "go".

The process I hope to use is called The Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement process, which is described below for review by anyone interested:

American Heart Association:

https://newheartvalve.com/tavr-treat...iAAEgIFC_D_BwE

Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384698

The advantage of TAVR over open heart surgery is two fold: First it has a two day recovery period vs. two or more weeks with open heart. This one really appeals to me because my lawn grows to its maximum healthy length within three days. Secondly, if the TAVR valve fails it has similar warning properties to that of a native valve failure, which allows a good chance for another replacement.
    Thanks for the update on the good news and for the links!

If the replacement is successful, perhaps I will consider taking The Bodhisattva Vow, and hang around till all sentient beings attain nirvanha / nibanna.
    Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post
    Thanks for the kind intentions, Aloka. Scheduled for a cardiac catheterization for the purpose of diagnostics on 6-21-2018, next Thursday. Will know more then.

As Buddha was quoted: "Birth, aging, disease, and death"...is what dukkha is all about. Seems like he somehow omitted "genetic abnormalities". Although, I guess that could be included under disease.

Glad there is another person "on board", who appreciates puns. I work so hard, and my wife says, "ineffectively" on them. My favorite ones are those puns that make you want to go outside and rub your teeth on the concrete sidewalk to ease the pain from having heard them.
    Hello Olderon,
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. My family has a history of heart disease and I had angioplasty done six years ago... I had significant blockages in four arteries and found out that I was a walking time bomb and did not know it.

Let us know how you are doing.

Regards

Gene

Hi, Gene. (...leaving off the "canuck" part of your handle since one of my French Canadian friends objects to the label. Although, he doesn't seem to know what it means, just that it is some how a pejorative.) The attached Wiki seems to simply define the term as meaning Canadian, especially French Canadian, which I don't understand why it would be considered pejorative. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canuck

Anyway, in response to your request:

The procedure (Cardiac Catheterization) was completed to look at the condition of my heart valves, arteries, and veins. They found one of my previous bypass grafts had all but closed off, but the artery it bypassed had opened. Interesting. There was sufficient blood flow that they felt there was no need to do anything about it, especially as I am an opponent of using stents due to the numerous problems, which they present over the long haul.

Good news with regard to the aortic valve is that the replacement using the Transverse Aortic Valve Replacement procedure seemed doable, provided the team, which is going to do the procedure all agree. They will meet and let me know their recommendation. Provided they all agree, the next step will be to perform a Magnetic Resonance Imaging procedure for the purpose of providing the specifications for the dimensions of the aortic valve, which will replace my current defective valve.

Another bit of good news was that my existing aortic valve was not genetically defective, but it was calcified to the extent that it does require replacement. The reason this is good news is because there was a concern that the number of leafs on the valve were two, rather than three, which is problematic for my children from a genetic standpoint.

That's about it, at this point. Just waiting to hear back from "The Team" and then we can make further plans.

Thanks for asking,

...Ron

Hi Ron,

I am glad to hear that you have heard some good news and that you are getting some good treatment. One thing I learned about going through my cardiovascular health challenges is that it brought me closer to understanding what is really important in and about life.

Warm regards

Gene

Hi, Gene. Thanks for the feedback and sharing what you learned from your own cardiovascular health challenges.

Last week I completed a CAT scan to size the replacement valve. Next week I see the cardiothorasic surgeon to hear what he has to say and outline the final treatment plan. While my wife and I are hoping to have the final procedure take place in November of this year, we have become open to any recommendations from the medical team if their concerns for treatment are warranted.

...Ron

How are you getting on, Ron, have you seen the surgeon yet?

Hi, Aloka.

Preoperative surgery consult is scheduled for next Monday. Surgery for the following week. Have been ordered by surgery coordinator not to pick up more than 10 pounds. Since we live in U.S. this is no problem for me as we only purchase commodities with U.S. dollars.

Seriously, I hired a neighbor's kid (17 year old) to mow the lawn for me, but we had a lot of rain and he didn't show for last week's cutting. Adding to the problem his league baseball team is in the U.S. National Championships, and he and his father left for Washington State to compete this morning. So, I will be cutting grass again in next few days.

Adding still more complexity is that we are having an irrigation system installed over the next two weeks, hopefully before my surgery. Just had the gas company out this morning marking the locations of our natural gas lines providing service for our heating systems.

Our water bills have been enormous due to the policy of our city doubling the water supply use charge for sewer usage. Irrigation water does not get charged this way by the city and will only charged for actual supply water provided.

Once the irrigation system is installed our cost should be easily cut in half during the summer.

Other than that, everything is going as expected.

How about you?
    Last edited by Olderon; 07 Aug 18 at 21:09.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 8:13 PM Sun, 10:13 PM Mon, 4:13 AM Mon, 8:43 AM Mon, 11:13 AM Mon, 2:13 PM