Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: How was your week ?

Aloka: "They cost around £10 in chemists and are definitely worth having because I haven't had 'flu for a few years now."
    Yes. Getting Flu shots is advisable and beneficial, and still beneficial according to Business Daily. We get them every year, usually in September / October time frame, and like yourself, they usually seem to be effective. But, not this year, as far as effectivity is concerned. We both got shots at the same time, and we both got ill.

Apparently this year there were around five varieties, one of which was "nastier" than most:

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/flu-s...anyway-2017-12

the vaccine is, at best, around 10% effective on H3N2.

"Unfortunately, it's the one strain that the vaccine is really underperforming in, in every regard," he said.

That strain caused some of the most severe illnesses and deaths in the Southern Hemisphere during their flu season this year, particularly in older populations. In Australia, the government reported most of the known influenza cases were H3N2, and Australian labs diagnosed more than two and a half times more cases of the flu this year (compared to last.)
    CDC Statistical Data: https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/fl...dashboard.html

Happy-Valentine's -Day-to-Everyone.

I've been resting up the last ten days with a cough followed by sinusitis, so perfect opportunity to think on the impermanence of my body and be grateful for my otherwise general good health.

I realise I have a stronger aversion to physical discomfort than emotional, which tells me where my work is at.

Sorry you haven't been feeling so well, Veer Zinda. I haven't been feeling so good myself in the past week or so... but I think its partly connected to the exceptionally cold weather from Siberia we've been having here in the UK.

Roll on Springtime!

Can relate to the Siberian effect. Our effect comes out of Canada and The North Pole region. Had eighteen inches of it dumped into my driveway this morning. Then, after snow blowing it out of the driveway, along comes the plow to block the end of it. After clearing that out of the drive, along comes the sidewalk front loader / snow blower / plow and blocks the driveway again. Time to tap my early afternoon nap and wait for the Spring temps, which are predicted for tomorrow.

File photo: http://rewind1057.com/how-to-keep-yo...owed-in-video/

I got back yesterday from a 5 day retreat for adults aged 18 to 35 at Deer Park Monastery in California, which is a monastery in the Plum Village/Thich Nhat Hahn tradition. I liked it. It was very mellow meditation wise with more an emphasis on mindfulness in activities. They sing in that tradition and I must say I’m more a fan of chanting but I suppose it’s good to go against my mild aversion to singing. Not that I sang along much, I didn’t know the songs. I liked the people and general experience enough I think I’m going to practice in both the Plum Village and Theravada traditions. I stayed in a tent on their campgrounds instead of in their shared dorms for privacy’s sake and just to enjoy the outdoors and fresh air a bit more. The monks and nuns are very nice there and more casual and involved with lay people than they are in Theravada monasteries. Not that that is better, just different. I can appreciate both monastic styles.

Did anyone say anything about Ven. Thich Nhat Hahn's health, Polar Bear? I was wondering if he is able to speak at all. He had a stroke and was in a coma in 2014 and he must be in his 90's by now.

Please feel free to post any of his teachings that you like, by the way,

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Did anyone say anything about Ven. Thich Nhat Hahn's health, Polar Bear? I was wondering if he is able to speak at all.
    No, Thich Nhat Hanh was not really brought up during the retreat. My understanding is that he lives in France and hasn’t visited California in a long time, even before his stroke. I thought I’d read an article last year stating that he can smile and understand what’s going on and make some gestures but he cannot speak and is confined to a wheel chair. So I think our knowledge regarding him is equal. I think it is safe to say that Thay (as they call him) can only teach now through his peacefulness and smiles in the face of the adverse circumstances he finds himself in and that his tradition is now firmly in the hands of those he has taught.

Thanks Polar Bear for the update re. Thich Nhat Hanh. Didn't meet him personally, but visited his monastery in Hue', Vietnam back in the early 1960's. We studied his writings / commentaries at the Zen Center in Rochester, N.Y., U.S.A in the late 1990's. Interestingly he reminds me of a Tibetan Nun, whose works we read at our ecumenical group here in Concord, New Hampshire, U.S.A.. Her name escapes me at the moment, but will add it later, when it bubbles to the surface of my mind.

Oops! Hre it is: Pema Chödrön. If you are not familiar with her work, I highly recommend it, especially if you like Thich Nhat Hanh's.

source: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...2.Pema_Ch_dr_n

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    No, Thich Nhat Hanh was not really brought up during the retreat. My understanding is that he lives in France and hasn’t visited California in a long time, even before his stroke. I thought I’d read an article last year stating that he can smile and understand what’s going on and make some gestures but he cannot speak and is confined to a wheel chair. So I think our knowledge regarding him is equal. I think it is safe to say that Thay (as they call him) can only teach now through his peacefulness and smiles in the face of the adverse circumstances he finds himself in and that his tradition is now firmly in the hands of those he has taught.

Yes, I had a thread here with updates.... but then any news about his condition just seemed to come to an end.

https://www.buddhismwithoutboundarie...-health-update

I have a couple of his books on my shelf and still watch some of his YouTube videos from time to time, because he has something very special about him which seems quite different to other teachers in You Tube videos - or indeed to most of the Tibetan and Theravada teachers I've met in "meat space".

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 6:29 PM Sun, 8:29 PM Mon, 2:29 AM Mon, 6:59 AM Mon, 9:29 AM Mon, 11:29 AM