Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: How was your week ?

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post
    Thanks Polar Bear for the update re. Thich Nhat Hanh. Didn't meet him personally, but visited his monastery in Hue', Vietnam back in the early 1960's. We studied his writings / commentaries at the Zen Center in Rochester, N.Y., U.S.A in the late 1990's. Interestingly he reminds me of a Tibetan Nun, whose works we read at our ecumenical group here in Concord, New Hampshire, U.S.A.. Her name escapes me at the moment, but will add it later, when it bubbles to the surface of my mind.

Oops! Hre it is: Pema Ch�dr�n. If you are not familiar with her work, I highly recommend it, especially if you like Thich Nhat Hanh's.

source: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...2.Pema_Ch_dr_n
    Thanks for the recommendation Olderon. I've read some articles on Lion's Roar about Pema Chodron and some by her. I think she is a pretty inspiring person but my familiarity with her is fairly limited. I may look into her teachings in more depth at some point. If you have any book or article recommendations by her I'd be interested to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Yes, I had a thread here with updates.... but then any news about his condition just seemed to come to an end.

https://www.buddhismwithoutboundarie...-health-update

I have a couple of his books on my shelf and still watch some of his YouTube videos from time to time, because he has something very special about him which seems quite different to other teachers in You Tube videos - or indeed to most of the Tibetan and Theravada teachers I've met in "meat space".
    I guess it was probably that thread that I was thinking of. I'd be interested in your thoughts if you have anything more specific to say about what you find special about him. I was hesitating to reply to this thread again at first just because I would be no longer talking about my week but I didn't really think my replies to you and Olderon were appropriate for a new thread either. But anyway, yeah, certainly Thich Nhat Hanh is a very calm, inspiring person and I'd be touched to hear your thoughts on him if you have anything specific to say about what you find inspiring about him. Also, what books of his do you have and do you recommend them/what did you like about them?

I'd be touched to hear your thoughts on him if you have anything specific to say about what you find inspiring about him. Also, what books of his do you have and do you recommend them/what did you like about them?
    Thank you for the suggestions Polar Bear. Maybe I'll l do that sometime in the future but at the moment I'm struggling with severe pain in my arm and both shoulders due to lifting some items which were too heavy for me - and my doctor said yesterday that I need to rest them. This includes not spending a lot of time attempting to type on the keyboad of my laptop.

I'll also have to have a scan at a later date.

Maybe someone else might like to say something about Ven Thich Nhat Hahn, I'm sure we have at least two members who've practised at hs centres.

Hi, Aloka.

Can relate to the aching body parts: Yesterday had to rush finishing-up my Spring raking and pre-emergent crabgrass treatment, because the weatherman predicted snow (again) for today. Wife also wanted to see a final showing of movie locally. Was barely able to walk at the end of the work day. Am feeling like I have done an honest days work this morning.

Yes. These are truly "The Golden Years" .

Polar Bear,

I agree with your comment to move the discussion regarding Tich Nhat Hahn to The Zen section of our forum, but am concerned that others, who have never been exposed to his work, especially his approach and wisdom as to Buddhist activism, might not get a chance to know him as well as us old geezers do. So, hope you will include references, or at least links to his works herein for the sake of others, who might benefit from your thoughtfulness in sharing your experience and study.

As Buddha was quoted: (paraphrasing) "He who knows The Dhamma knows me." And, "He who knows me knows The Dhamma." ....this statement surely applies to monastics such as Tich Nhat Hahn. Another way of expressing this concept in my experience is: "You know the tree by its fruit."

Just posted on the One Word thread. The previous post to mine was "implant", to which I responded "valve". Since we are not supposed to add any information on that thread other than one word, I thought I might explain my choice of words:

Being an old "fart" of 74 in a few weeks, I seem to be experiencing the same kind of physical issues as did my father at the very same age. He acquired a malady known as Aortic Stenosis, apparently related to an aortic valve which was a bi-valve (two leafed) as opposed to a three leafed valve, which evolution has determined to be the better option as far as human heart valves are concerned. So, after a visit with the heart surgeon and in response to my inability to do any significant amount of walking or pushing a significant load over any given significant distance without having to sit down and catch my breath, it was mutually decided that I will enter into the process of having a heart valve replacement this year.

So, that is why "valves" were rising within my mind in response to the stimulus of the word, "implant".

Glad I got that off my chest!

...Ron....(doing a great deal of work on "Mental Equanimity").

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon
    it was mutually decided that I will enter into the process of having a heart valve replacement this year.

I'm so sorry to hear about your heart problems Ron, and hope that when you have the operation all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post

Glad I got that off my chest!
    Awesome pun!

I wish you a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear about your heart problems Ron, and hope that when you have the operation all goes well.
    Thanks for the kind intentions, Aloka. Scheduled for a cardiac catheterization for the purpose of diagnostics on 6-21-2018, next Thursday. Will know more then.

As Buddha was quoted: "Birth, aging, disease, and death"...is what dukkha is all about. Seems like he somehow omitted "genetic abnormalities". Although, I guess that could be included under disease.

Glad there is another person "on board", who appreciates puns. I work so hard, and my wife says, "ineffectively" on them. My favorite ones are those puns that make you want to go outside and rub your teeth on the concrete sidewalk to ease the pain from having heard them.

Scheduled for a cardiac catheterization for the purpose of diagnostics on 6-21-2018, next Thursday. Will know more then.
    Keep us updated about what's happening, Ron.

My favorite ones are those puns that make you want to go outside and rub your teeth on the concrete sidewalk
    Woah, I can't say I've ever wanted to do that, lol!

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I'm wishing you a good outcome to the procedure on Thursday, Ron. I'll be thinking of you.

Woodscooter.

Thanks, Woodscooter.

Me too!

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 8:29 AM Fri, 10:29 AM Fri, 4:29 PM Fri, 8:59 PM Fri, 11:29 PM Sat, 1:29 AM