Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: How was your week ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Now that sounds familiar Gene, ..... I call it my "butterfly mind"!

Good morning Aloka,
    Yes, that lovley butterfly mind. I think that my mind craves problems and I think that the problems become the problem and the source of my craving and attachment.

It reminds me of an eighties pop song..... "I always feel like somebody's watching me" but I wonder who is watching.:)

Not sure where I am going with this. My plan for this weekend is to clean house to get ready for visiters.

Have a lovley day everyone.

Gene

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I often visit the lock on the river near my home. The connection between nature, wildlife and the slow running water helps me feel peaceful.

Just the other day I spotted a heron standing on a post, and it brought to my mind the notion that birds and animals don't seem to need a sense of time. They are always in the present moment.

Good morning everyone,
    Today is Canada Day in Canada and I am on vacation for a week. We had family over this weekend for a visit and I am looking forward to watching some Canada Day fireworks tonight.

Have a wonderful Canada Day,Gene!

Happy Canada Day, Gene!

Mike

Happy Canada Day, fellow Canucks!

It's pouring rain here, and all the outdoor events had to be moved indoors. The temperature never even made it to 15C. I spent the morning washing dishes at the fire department's pancake breakfast.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post

Have a wonderful Canada Day,Gene!

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans View Post
    Happy Canada Day, Gene!

Mike
    Thank you!

Good morning,

My past week has been full of attachments with a lot of mental craving. Today, I plan to focus on thoughts and deeds that prevent unwholesome states of mind from arising.

May all beings be free from suffering and the root causes of suffering.

Gene

Canada has become an ideal, kind of like Shangrala of "Lost Horizons".

Thanks for reminding me that Canada actually exists, Gene.

My week has been focused on treating our new Kelpy puppy's diseases. Off to the vet again this morning.

July 25th, 1944 to July 25th, 2019: The Meaning of Birth in the Buddhist Context

Since today is the 75th anniversary of the date of my rebirth, it was my thought to reflect upon the meaning of birthdays in the Buddhist context:

Buddha presented the concept of “dukkha” based upon his discovery as a young prince as the entire tangled ball of suffering from our day of birth / rebirth, aging, disease, and death.

He later discovered and taught the meaning of kamma as our intentional actions, which always have consequences, which result in our physical and mental status in our current and future lives as caused by our intentional actions in the current or past lives. The result of failure to eliminate non-beneficial intentional actions from our lives is “rebirth” in this horrific samsaric cycle, whereas the result of success in living our lives in accordance with the noble eight fold path with beneficial intentional actions is ultimately unbinding and release from the samsaric cycle of birth, aging, disease, and death. Therefore, it is my conclusion that birthdays are nothing to be celebrated, at least not in the Buddhist context, but are best contemplated for the manner in which we can improve our behaviors for the most beneficial outcomes following our upcoming deaths.

During our (my wife and I) discussion at yesterday’s breakfast as to the “precepts for lay persons” such as myself. I mentioned the following:

1. Cause no harm to sentient beings.
    2. Take nothing which has not been freely given.
    3. Not engage in sexual misconduct.
    4. No engagement in means of harmful livelihood
    5. No imbibing of mind-altering substances.

In truly wife-like fashion she was able to quickly point out my means and modes of failure at perfection with each precept I mentioned, except for the last, which I could not remember, since it has never been an issue for me since abstaining (for the most part) from such substances since April 17th, 1984 @ 17:00, when I gave up alcoholic beverages and cigarettes.

So, for my “Buddhist” re-birthday celebration, it is my intention to improve my behavior in these areas, and to rededicate my focus to The Triple Gem.

Thank you in advance for your cards, e-cards, and best regards.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 7:55 PM Wed, 9:55 PM Thu, 3:55 AM Thu, 8:25 AM Thu, 10:55 AM Thu, 12:55 PM