Share on Facebook
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Genjokoan

Quote Originally Posted by clw_uk
    Firewood becomes ash, and it does not become firewood again.
    Entropy and Thermodynamics here!

Firewood becomes ash, and it does not become firewood again. Yet, do not suppose that the ash is future and the firewood past. You should understand that firewood abides in the phenomenal expression of firewood, which fully includes past and future and is independent of past and future. Ash abides in the phenomenal expression of ash, which fully includes future and past. Just as firewood does not become firewood again after it is ash, you do not return to birth after death.

This being so, it is an established way in buddha-dharma to deny that birth turns into death. Accordingly, birth is understood as no-birth. It is an unshakable teaching in Buddha's discourse that death does not turn into birth. Accordingly, death is understood as no-death.

Birth is an expression complete this moment. Death is an expression complete this moment. They are like winter and spring. You do not call winter the beginning of spring, nor summer the end of spring.

Looking at this again I find this chimes quite well with a teaching Buddhadasa gave

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Bo...nd_Rebirth.pdf

I've just got a copy of "Realizing Genjokoan, The Key To Dogen's Shobogenzo" by Shohaku Okumura. The book has received great reviews and so far I'm really enjoying it, but no kensho yet!

I'll keep you posted.

Gassho

Gary

Forums Member
    Gary, I'll personally vouch for that book (actually I was about to recommend it to you when I first started reading this thread). I read Realising Genjokoan roughly a month ago and it was a great help to understanding Dogen's essay Genjkoan. It has been said that everything else in the Shobogenzo is a "footnote" to it. Dogen can be a very bewildering writer if you approach it like a typical "philosophical" text-- even now I am thankful to understand bits and pieces in places.

As far as enlightenment goes, at least according to Dogen, sitting is enlightenment. There is no "means" and there are no "ends." (!)

I hope you find Okumura's book as "enlightening" as I did! It is definitely worth re-reading-- a real keeper!

() Kyorei

Hi Kyorei,

Do you practice Soto Zen?

Well, from the Shobogenzo I really have enjoyed the Bendowa and the Hachi Dainin Kaku chapters.

Forums Member
    Hello Kaarine,

For many years I found Zen (in a general way) to be interesting, however, that interest often never seemed to get beyond an intellectual one. Likewise with Daoism. In the past couple years it has become much more than a mere intellectual "interest" and I have actually begun practising this year-- in my own typically stumbling way.

I have been most naturally drawn to Soto Zen and I have been slowly working my way through the entire Shobogenzo (Nishijima/Cross translation) along with what supplemental reading I can find.

I've read other chapters from the Shobogenzo (from other translations, Tanahashi and also Cleary)-- and sometimes, when I don't think so much, something actually sinks in! LOL I've also been rather fond of the writings of Dainin Katagiri, who has been very helpful to me as well. I just take it all in small bites, and then just do my bit of just sitting. :-)

Sometime in mid-2011, Tanahashi's complete translation of the Shobogenzo will be out in two thick volumes-- I'll be interested in reading that translation along with the Nishijima/Cross.

Bendowa is quite good-- and also chapter six, Soku-shin-ze-butsu (Nishijima/Cross translates this as "Mind Here and Now is Buddha").

() Kyorei

Quote Originally Posted by Kyorei
    I have been most naturally drawn to Soto Zen
    Yes, me too. I have fit well with zazen and shikantaza. I really enjoy Soto tradition. The Soto lineage we follow is the one founded by Taizan Maetzumi Roshi.

and I have been slowly working my way
    Well, that is a very Zen way of practice... I do too my own way through the buddha teachings. I have never been comfortable with interpretations.

when I don't think so much
    Great! we call it Chisoku

Sometime in mid-2011, Tanahashi's complete translation of the Shobogenzo will be out in two thick volumes-- I'll be interested in reading that translation along with the Nishijima/Cross.
    Keep us told about them and share with us.

Happy Holidays!

Forums Member
    Genjo-Koan is Dogen's way of teaching us that it is to realize true Dharma,the real Universe,which is the fundamental Buddist belief.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 10:24 AM Fri, 12:24 PM Fri, 6:24 PM Fri, 10:54 PM Sat, 1:24 AM Sat, 4:24 AM