Share on Facebook
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Genjokoan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaarine Alejandra
    There can be no understanding,
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka-D
    Sounds very dogmatic.
    Sorry, maybe I do not make my self clear. I tried to mean that because the fact of Buddha Nature as inherent to all things, and for the particular case of human beings, it is why we can understand and realize Buddha teachings, otherwise we would never awoke following the Buddha teachings. It is a kind of necessary condition: "If we can awake, it is because of Buddha Nature."

There can be no understanding, practice and result of the teachings with out Buddha Nature.
    ... or as a positive statement:

There can be understanding, practice and result of the teachings because of Buddha Nature...

About the concept of luminous mind, it is understood by this, as the mind that has developed Right View, that has Understood and can see with an awakened eye... that is the meaning of Genjo... "An awakened eye".

Hope this time I have been more clear about this.

Sleep well Kaarine dear.
    Thanks Aloka, fortunatly I could...

Thanks for your input with this Kaarine, I struggle to intellectualize verses or koans such as these and often just take them at face value thus missing the author's intention, but also maybe at times searching too deeply for a point that may not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher
    I struggle to intellectualize verses or koans such as these
    Me too...

I am not so good at intellectualize koans and many of the Mahayana literature. But even as a Soto practitioner I really have found a lot more tangible the understanding of the pali canon suttas given as the most direct source of what the historical Buddha taught. Any way this do not mean that the value of the Soto literature is less important or has to be set in a second place. For Soto practice the Genjokoan, the Bendowa and the Hachi Danin Kaku (the Eight Satoris) are a fundamental guide to develop Right meditative skills.

A teisho by Zen teacher Augusto Alcalde on Dogen's Dogen's Genjo Koan.
    http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachin...Genjo_Koan.htm

Thanks Gary... I'll check it latter... so to comment about...

I've been working my way through this series of videos, I've found them very helpful.
    genjokoan, to study the self 1

Buddha Nature

Hi Kaarine,

What is your interpretation of the term 'Buddha Nature'? Its also used a lot in Tibetan

Buddhism, but not to my knowledge in Theravada.

D.

I have heard mention of a concept of "Buddha-wisdom" in the Thai Forest Tradition. I think Ajahn Sumedho uses it occasionally. From what I can gather it means being awake and attentive. Dont know if this is what Buddha-nature means

Firewood becomes ash, and it does not become firewood again. Yet, do not suppose that the ash is future and the firewood past. You should understand that firewood abides in the phenomenal expression of firewood, which fully includes past and future and is independent of past and future. Ash abides in the phenomenal expression of ash, which fully includes future and past. Just as firewood does not become firewood again after it is ash, you do not return to birth after death.

This being so, it is an established way in buddha-dharma to deny that birth turns into death. Accordingly, birth is understood as no-birth. It is an unshakable teaching in Buddha's discourse that death does not turn into birth. Accordingly, death is understood as no-death.

Birth is an expression complete this moment. Death is an expression complete this moment. They are like winter and spring. You do not call winter the beginning of spring, nor summer the end of spring

I quite like this section

Quote Originally Posted by clw_uk
    Dont know if this is what Buddha-nature means
    Sometimes this concept is taken as a ultimate nature that endures somewhere and where one can abide in it. But as far as we understand it, it refers to a kind of aptitude, artfulness or dexterity about the development of samma ditthi. This is way the Shobogenzo is full of poetry about Luminous Mind or Buddha Nature and this metaphorical concept points toward the encouragement to develop this special kind of understanding that is far from intellectual speculation, far from a place to abide within as a realm, far from a kind of ultimate nature but about a way mind should be tammed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 3:52 PM Sun, 5:52 PM Sun, 11:52 PM Mon, 5:22 AM Mon, 7:52 AM Mon, 10:52 AM