Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent

BitTorrent

Quote Originally Posted by gogota View Post
    you can download the complete movie using bittorrent. Here is the link :

(link removed by moderator)

I will seeding it for a while so that others can download it
    Could someone explain what bittorrent is, or give me a link to beginner's info on it? I clicked on the link and just wound up adding a strange toolbar to my browser.......and nothing else productive happened. I googled bittorrent and just got a BUY NOW page. ??what IS it, and how do I use it?

Fugu

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    The full description of BitTorrent can be found on Wikepedia, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

To give a summary, it's a scheme for distributing/downloading large files, by chopping them up into manageable smaller pieces. These pieces are then held on hundreds of ordinary personal computers, like yours and mine, and they are made available to everybody.

The principle of BitTorrent is that everyone gets access to large files, in return for offering help with making files available.

The downside and the risk is that the scheme is quite uncontrolled, so can easily be used for distribution of copyright material in contravention of copyright law, and can be used for distribution of harmful software like virus and trojans. Also, if you make files available for BitTorrent from your computer, you will find your own access to the internet slows down when other people are using your bandwidth.

My recommendation would be to not use it, unless you feel you can understand and deal with the risks.

the best bittorrent program is on http://www.vuze.com. Download and install it. You can search torrent file on kat.ph or fenopy.eu. Please note that almost any movie is available but it is illegal.

It is a sin and you can go to hell....

opsss... sorry, no sin no hell in Buddhism...

Thank you Woodscoter and Gogota......not liking the illegal aspect. Are the pieces posted on youtube also illegal?

Fugu

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
    ......not liking the illegal aspect.
    Hi Fugu

It is a common fallacy that technologies that can be used for unlawful activity are illegal or 'sinful'.

(Just as many Christians believe meditation is the work of the devil, because w/o understanding it can drive insane minds into more insane behavior.)

Please note, BitTorrent is just a decentralized way of uploading/downloading information, nothing more.

As such it can be used for spreading Dhamma content, and also to circumvent censorship by unlawful/suppressive governments.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
    Are the pieces posted on youtube also illegal?
    Usually, no. Just uploading of illegal material is.

_()_

Absolutely right, nibbuti, it's important to have a distinction between the technology and the uses to which it can be put.

BitTorrent is a mechanism for making large files available, and is itself completely innocent.

Does anybody know about legal restrictions on the copying and distribution of the movie "Amal"? I would guess that it is released under the same conditions as most films. Making unauthorised copies is piracy. That probably also applies to the copies onYouTube.

At Buddhism Without Boundaries, our advice would be Do Not download an illegal copy. Borrow a DVD from a video library, or go out and buy it.

agree with all you guys (or girls ??) . But [...], I don't think Amal is available in any video store.
    If anybody think they have commited sin, opsss..... I mean 'wrong thing', you can give the disc to your friend after you have watch it.

Ah Mee Toh Hood
    Hey gogota, the movie might not be in a video store in Malaysia, but I can buy it in the UK from amazon. It is also for sale in USA and Canada.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amal-Rupinde.../dp/B005PZSZJS

Copyright has a purpose. It exists to let artists receive reward for their work. If you ignore copyright, and you watch a movie for free, you have stolen something. You have avoided the copyright payment.

Then to give the copy to a friend is worse, you are helping someone else steal too.

So, please be respectful of the property of others. Show some consideration to the film-makers who have created this inspiring story as a movie. Just because it's easy to copy a film, and other people are doing it, and because it's for private use, these things do not make it right or honest.

Woodscooter.

Quote Originally Posted by woodscooter View Post
    Hey gogota, the movie might not be in a video store in Malaysia, but I can buy it in the UK from amazon. It is also for sale in USA and Canada.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amal-Rupinde.../dp/B005PZSZJS

Copyright has a purpose. It exists to let artists receive reward for their work. If you ignore copyright, and you watch a movie for free, you have stolen something. You have avoided the copyright payment.

Then to give the copy to a friend is worse, you are helping someone else steal too.

So, please be respectful of the property of others. Show some consideration to the film-makers who have created this inspiring story as a movie. Just because it's easy to copy a film, and other people are doing it, and because it's for private use, these things do not make it right or honest.

Woodscooter.
    That is why i need to steal it, because cannot buy it.
    Can you tell the filmaker the reason i steal his movie and apologize for me?

That is why i need to steal it, because cannot buy it.
    Stealing is breaking the Buddhist precepts. To be not able to buy a movie does not justify stealing it.

Can you tell the filmaker the reason i steal his movie and apologize for me?
    Don't be ridiculous.

Techno-Karma/Bittorrent Part Duh:

For what it is worth to anybody: I assumed that a link posted in a quiet, Buddhist forum would be safe to click on..........El Wrong-o Grasshopper. I clicked on the link provided for the movie 'Amal'.......it apparently started a Bittorrent download and then froze. As a result, I got a load of malware, adware and spyware that has taken me a whole day to get rid of. One of them must have renamed itself, because all the removal insts. I googled no longer worked.

So......beware the 'free' stuff or stuff you think you can sneak away with unnoticed.........karma lives on the web, too.

and where, pray tell, is the emoticon for ANGER????????

Fugu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 11:18 PM Wed, 1:18 AM Wed, 7:18 AM Wed, 12:48 PM Wed, 3:18 PM Wed, 6:18 PM