Thread: Mindfulness

Mindfulness

I've recently had a lot more trouble being mindful of my actions throughout the day. I was wondering what all of you do to try and stay mindful.

Forums Member
    Hi JP. It's certainly difficult in such hectic times. I found avoiding too much busy-ness of support to sustain mindfulness. Also, even though Buddhism is all about mind and mind-fulness, not so much delve into the mind/thoughts, as this can get very fizzy, but pay more attention to bodily processes.

Last edited by nibbuti; 19 Oct 12 at 22:14.

You were aware you haven't been mindful, that's the first step, most people have no idea when they have or have not been mindful.

Just continue to notice the quality of your mindfulness as it fluctuates from day to day, learn what it's like what leads to mindfulness what takes it away.

discussing with fire ants why they are so angry
    What Nibbuti says seems very helpful. I follow zen traditions mainly, so I go back to brief breathing focus when I find my mind is leaping about. Of course daily meditation practice helps over time to minimize the bumps, and to quickly return to mindfulness, but I think Johnny Panic is already doing that. Anyway I think what Nibbuti says is so important, since I have only lately been working on that, to pay attention to physical signals from the body and I am curious if anyone can share some experience about that.

Thanks for the answers, everybody. They've been very helpful.

Forums Member
    There is an important difference between concentration and mindfulness. Constantly "looking" at our thoughts and interpreting it is concentration and not mindful. You can get a headache.

When you were lost in your thoughts and not knowing what you were thinking and then in a moment of awareness you realised that you were lost in your thoughts. That's mindfulness.

When Buddha was asked what was the difference between concentration and awareness he used a metaphor of a glass filled to the brim with water. When you through the village with this glass without spilling a drop, your intense attention at the brim is concentration. What you "saw" around you without interpreting is awareness. There is just a "knowing".

If your mind darts from the brim to the peripheral vision and interpreting it, it is just the mind jumping from one object of concentration to another. That's not awareness.

For meditative practice of mindfulness Buddha set out 4 (satipathana sutta).

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 11:30 AM Mon, 1:30 PM Mon, 7:30 PM Tue, 1:00 AM Tue, 3:30 AM Tue, 6:30 AM