Share on Facebook
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A few question, I am new here, nice to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by auriga View Post
    On sanskrit, having studied the language, do so if you are interested in learning sanskrit, not because of Buddhism. There are plenty of good translations, which can be collated and compared for nuances. If you are diligent, after about three years of study you will be able to translate on sanskrit paragraph in an hour. I think if Buddhism is your interest, or holy writings in general, your time will be much better spent by persuing the extant translations or seeking out the scholars who are familiar with the more obscure texts which may not yet have been published. Remember one thing: sanskrit was forbidden to ordinary people (san + sacred, krit + writing, sanskrit is sacred writing or writing to be "sung") who were punished by death for learning it. With your experience in Hebrew and diacritical marks you will have a head start, but the written language was kept as deliberately hard to decipher as possible. But, if you like dead languages as much as I do, just to study them, then go for it....I speak 5 languages and have studied more, but nothing as complicated as sankrit.
    Yes, I do intrested in ancient languages, but what is your opinion about Tibetan? You think it is easier? I think Tibetan is better because you have people who speak Tibetan and also ancient texts written in Tibetan.
    Ngagpa, does Erick take charge or money for his lessons?
    Last edited by Valujira; 23 Oct 12 at 14:40.

discussing with fire ants why they are so angry
    Quote Originally Posted by Valujira View Post
    Yes, I do intrested in ancient languages, but what is your opinion about Tibetan? You think it is easier? I think Tibetan is better because you have people who speak Tibetan and also ancient texts written in Tibetan.
    I have no knowledge of Tibetan, but that sounds reasonable to me. In fact it sounds quite difficult!

My view on the general topic is that dedicated study of the original source documents might provide some better insight than reading other people's translations. But I don't really know since I use translations and oral teachings, rather than the source documents.

In zen at least, we tend to look less toward conceptual knowledge of the scriptures and doctrine and more toward "direct understanding" through meditation and interaction with a teacher. The teachings are still fundamental though, and I personally would be quite lost without them.

I am sure there are very different viewpoints depending on who you talk with and what traditions they follow.

Quote Originally Posted by auriga View Post
    I have no knowledge of Tibetan, but that sounds reasonable to me. In fact it sounds quite difficult!

My view on the general topic is that dedicated study of the original source documents might provide some better insight than reading other people's translations. But I don't really know since I use translations and oral teachings, rather than the source documents.

In zen at least, we tend to look less toward conceptual knowledge of the scriptures and doctrine and more toward "direct understanding" through meditation and interaction with a teacher. The teachings are still fundamental though, and I personally would be quite lost without them.

I am sure there are very different viewpoints depending on who you talk with and what traditions they follow.
    So you think Tibetan is harder than Sanskrit?

Ngagpa, does Erick take charge or money for his lessons?
    Sorry Valujira I do not know. If you email (email at the link I provided) he will tell you.
    I have heard good reports of his Tibetan (translation and teaching)

discussing with fire ants why they are so angry
    Quote Originally Posted by Valujira View Post
    So you think Tibetan is harder than Sanskrit?
    I'm completely ignorant of Tibetan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngagpa View Post
    Sorry Valujira I do not know. If you email (email at the link I provided) he will tell you.
    I have heard good reports of his Tibetan (translation and teaching)

So you have Kangyur and Tengyur texts to hand me over? I really want to see them, a pdf file will be perfect, and if you know more tibetan texts expect from Tengyur and Kangyur, give me their names and also links to them

Forums Member
    To add to the linguistic thoughts, there are prevailing theories - I believe from an Oxford study, which I will try to unearth - that Sanscrit is the natural language of the human being, in that if we started afresh, we would develope Sanscrit. Not innate, exactly, simply natural. Thoughts? Graham Doke (I am new, do I sign these like that?... Oh, well.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 11:43 PM Tue, 1:43 AM Tue, 7:43 AM Tue, 1:13 PM Tue, 3:43 PM Tue, 6:43 PM