Share on Facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A few question, I am new here, nice to meet you.

A few question, I am new here, nice to meet you.

I have a few questions to ask, but before let me introduce myself:
    I am over 18, I am speaking English, German, Italian, Polish & Hebrew and study Chinese, I am intrested in Theology and like to read Holy Books of other religious, also I study philosophy, especially the teaching of our Master, I mediate a long time, and might call myself a Boddhisatva even.

I have already passed some small enlightments, I understand the life very deeply, understand the Dukha and also the path to the Sukha.

I would like to ask those:

1. Any good books to study Tibetan?

2. Tibetan is useful? I would like to read some texts, and also to travel to Tibet.

3. Do you know where I can read Tibetan texts? Do you have some names?

4. Would you reccomend me to study Sanskrit? I saw it is hard, but does it worth learning? I know you can read ancient texts with them and also it is THE language of Buddhism, but Tibetan is easier (I guess) and I think every texts from Sanskrit are also in Tibetan, right?

Thank you in advance and it's my pleasure to meet you.

Welcome Valujira !

Your questions are tradition specific so I have move them to the Mahayana forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Valujira

also it is THE language of Buddhism
    Not exclusively. The earliest recorded teachings of the Buddha are in Pali in the suttas of the Pali Canon. You might find this site helpful for that:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/help.html#map

with kind wishes

Aloka

Hello Valujira,
    Are you wanting to learn the Tibetan language?
    are you requesting texts in Tibetan? If you are you may wish to look at the Kangyur (words/teachings of Lord Buddha) and the Tengyur (the treatises and Abhidharma)
    If you are requesting the Kangyur or Tengyur in English, I am sorry to say they have not been translated yet!

On the 26th of March, 2009 - Fifty of the world’s leading Buddhist translators and six incarnate lamas, including Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, pledged to translate, within the next 25 years, Buddha’s core teachings - the Kangyur - from Choekyed into English.
    However many Tibetan texts and commentaries are available in English.

Pali is the first language of Buddhism.

Not all scholars agree on the veracity or accuracy of many Tibetan texts and some believe that the tone and context is somewhat changed by the Tibetan mind set.

I do not think that all Sanskrit texts can also be found in Tibetan or Vice-versa.

With respect just a small word of caution in Buddhism whether Theravadin or Vajrayana, claims to realisations/enlightenments are frowned upon for many good reasons.

That said I wish you well and welcome you!

oops sorry Aloka-D,
    posted the above before I saw your post

Quote Originally Posted by Ngagpa View Post
    Hello Valujira,
    Are you wanting to learn the Tibetan language?
    are you requesting texts in Tibetan? If you are you may wish to look at the Kangyur (words/teachings of Lord Buddha) and the Tengyur (the treatises and Abhidharma)
    If you are requesting the Kangyur or Tengyur in English, I am sorry to say they have not been translated yet!

On the 26th of March, 2009 - Fifty of the world’s leading Buddhist translators and six incarnate lamas, including Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, pledged to translate, within the next 25 years, Buddha’s core teachings - the Kangyur - from Choekyed into English.
    However many Tibetan texts and commentaries are available in English.

Pali is the first language of Buddhism.

Not all scholars agree on the veracity or accuracy of many Tibetan texts and some believe that the tone and context is somewhat changed by the Tibetan mind set.

I do not think that all Sanskrit texts can also be found in Tibetan or Vice-versa.

With respect just a small word of caution in Buddhism whether Theravadin or Vajrayana, claims to realisations/enlightenments are frowned upon for many good reasons.

That said I wish you well and welcome you!

Yes I want to learn Tibetan.
    Do you know where to find these Texts?I can't find them in Google, do you have a p df file or any other source for them in Tibe tan?
    Choekyed is Tibetan right?
    Pali is the first? Then why there is such a fuss a round Sanskrit? Why it seems that Sanskrit is the language of Buddhism? Sanskrit is older then Pali.
    Can you also explain me the diffrences between The ravadin, Vajrayana etc Buddhism? What are the diff erences between them?

Hi Valujira,

Re #5, I'd be grateful if you would use the regular posting-box font when taking part in a discussion, please. (I also get visual disturbances (migraine) with certain kinds of font and with dense blocks of text on a screen)

You can find out something about the differences between Theravada and Mahayana here:

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries...ayana-Buddhism

I'm not familiar with Vajrayana beyond knowing that it's the Tibetan school, but my understanding is that Theravada is the last remaining sect of classic Buddhism and uses the Pali canon; it's mostly found in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia. Mahayana uses additional sutras and has an emphasis on working for the enlightenment of all sentient beings. Mahayana Buddhism also includes faith-based traditions like Pure Land Buddhism. It's mostly found in East Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Valujira
    Why it seems that Sanskrit is the language of Buddhism? Sanskrit is older than Pali

From the Faculty of Oriental Studies at Oxford University UK :

Pali is a Middle Indo-Aryan language of India. It is best known as the language of the earliest extant Buddhist canon, the Pāḷi Canon (Pāḷi: Tipitaka), and as the liturgical language of Theravada Buddhism.

Today Pāli is studied mainly to gain access to Buddhist scriptures, and is frequently chanted in a ritual context. The secular literature of Pāli historical chronicles, medical texts, and inscriptions, is also of great historical importance. The great centers of Pāli learning remain in the Theravada nations of South-East Asia: Myanmar (Burma), Sri Lanka, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/isa/pali_language.html

I still can't find any site or pdf file of Tengyur and Kangyur in Tibetan, can someone give me a file of it or a site?

Quote Originally Posted by Valujira View Post
    I still can't find any site or pdf file of Tengyur and Kangyur in Tibetan, can someone give me a file of it or a site?
    This site might be helpful

http://www.thlib.org/encyclopedias/l...%20right2.html

However if you want to learn classical Tibetan, the best place to do so would probably be at classes at your nearest Tibetan Buddhist centre.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 2:47 PM Sat, 4:47 PM Sat, 10:47 PM Sun, 3:17 AM Sun, 5:47 AM Sun, 7:47 AM