Share on Facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 14th Dalai Lama

Kevin
    Before I stick my foot in it (so to speak), I thought I might mix metaphors and test the waters with a question:

Do you see the present Dalai Lama as a leader who transcends traditions?
    For example, are his teachings widely accepted in your corner of the Buddhist world?

Forums Member
    I am open to listening to him...like any other Dharma Teacher...though I know some who do not share my opinion...but does not matter...

I'm moving this topic to the Tibetan Buddhism forum and ask that members read the Code of Conduct if they haven't done so, before continuing with this discussion.

Thanks for your consideration.

Forums Member
    He's about the closest thing to a Pope-like figure that 'Buddhism' has, and to that extent I think he's responsible for introducing countless people to Buddhism for the first time. Sadhu!

Beyond that, I'm unfamiliar with a lot of what makes one Tibetan lineage different from another, so as to 'his teachings' (Gelugpa?) I know very little beyond bookstore titles, only a few of which I've read - I'm much more familiar with Pema Chodron.

I suppose the thing I'd most like to examine are the Dzogchen teachings - doesn't the Dalai Lama hold an important role in this respect?

(If my guess is correct, it's the Tibetan version of Right Concentration, jhanas and everything.)

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Sobeh:
    from post #4
    Dzogchen teachings are Nyingma originally. If you are interested in Dzogchen look out for teachings by the late Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.

HHDL is Gelug and isn't known primarily as a Dzogchen teacher, though he will have received teachings etc.

In general, for anyone interested in HHDL and Tibet - there's a book called 'The Story of Tibet' -conversations with the Dalai Lama by Thomas Laird.

Some of his conversations with the author about his early life as a Dalai Lama and about some of the previous Dalai Lamas are quite fascinating.

Forums Member
    I suppose other than Kalachakra initiations, I'm utterly unfamiliar with the ecclesiastical function of his office.

My experience is with Kagyu and a little Nyingma, I'm not familiar with the Gelug school in general or with Sakya .

Forums Member
    Kevin The Dalai Lama is a leader who transcends traditions.
    For example, he is widely accepted in and beyond the Buddhist world, for his loving kindness, He is a Nobel Laureate,His writings may be found in many western homes reguardless of religious affiliation.
    A true practicing Buddhist would have developed a measure of loving kindness and this at least would be a touchstone of trancendence it seems....Lamp

Hey Lamp ! Really good to see you.

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Replying to lamp:
    from post #8
    I enjoy his commentaries. I find he is very ecumenical. Some of my favourites include:
    Essence of the Heart Sutra (Heart of Wisdom Teachings)
    For the Benefit of All Beings (A Commentary on the Way of the Bodhisattva)
    Stages of Meditation (Training the Mind for Wisdom)
    Universe in a Single Atom (Commentaries on Connections Between Science and Buddhism)
    Both humourous at times and always humble, when he writes or speaks he shares his mind.
    There must be some reason that in his public events you can often see Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis (Monks and Nuns) of Theravada, as well as Mahayana in attendance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 11:09 PM Tue, 1:09 AM Tue, 7:09 AM Tue, 12:39 PM Tue, 3:09 PM Tue, 6:09 PM