Share on Facebook
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothing Exists

Previous Member
    Please read chapter 2 Expedient Means again and again and meditate on it.

Guatam Buddha tells again and again in this chapter that he had to use expedient means. And he gives the reason for that.

For first 20 years Guatam taught and told his disciples whenever they sat in meditation or faced day to day problems they should remember that ultimately "Nothing exists"

and every thing passes away. By this method he could bring them to become arhats.
    The extracts of teachings that you have given in your reply are of those times. Later on they were named as Hinayana teachings or Small vehicle teachings.

But at Eagle peak (after his disciples had attained Arhatship) he reversed this teaching of "Nothing Exists" to "Existant Is" for those who had accepted Him. He called that

Greater Vehicle or One Vehicle. Earlier method was named as two or three vehicles. He had to tell them that this was very necessary and otherwise they would not be able

to receive prophesy of Buddhahood. Later on this was known as Mahayana teachings.

As an arhat one gets estabilished in Emptiness (Nothing Exists) and later as a Bhoddisattva he follows the path of greater Vehicle. In greater vehicle one gets a Bullock and

a smarter cart as a reward and not a goat cart (read next chapter).
    By this he means that you can live in existence at a fast speed. Your desires will get fulfilled faster and the fruits of your karmas will be also fast and this will result in growth

of faster WISDOM.
    Wisdom that is needed for a bhoddhisattva path.

There is a very famous quote from Lotus sutra and it is my mantra.

"ALL BUDDHAS PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE ABIDE IN EMPTINESS AND FOLLOW THE PATH OF SUTRA OF ONE VEHCLE"

One has to become an arhat first and experience Emptiness (Nothing Exists) and this experience should always live with him.The attitude and life of that person
    completly changes. This is abiding in Emptiness. After
    they are firmly estabilished in emptiness, they have to live life to full; assimalating
    day to day experiences without getting emotionally involved and adding to the
    Wisdom.
    And if one is lucky to be with a buddha ( Guatam Buddha is still present), he can
    get a faster vehicle as well.

The purpose of buddhas is to get existence free from misery, death, sickness and old age.
    If you read chapter 8 Prophesy of Enlightment... , there you will find a layman named Purna (Not the same Purna you have mentioned in your letter) Maitrayaniputra bringing

the existence to such a level that men can fly as well walk etc.
    I tell you nothing can stop this, that our existence in future is going to be extraordinary wonderful. Guatam Buddha was not an ordinary God. Read chapter 7 Phantom city,

ther you will come to know that Guatam buddha is the 16th and last son of Buddha named " Great Universal Wisdom Excellence Thus Come One" and has been working

on our existence for probably billions of years along with the Guatma Buddha and his other 15 sons.

Please understand that this teaching is very very difficult and Guatam Buddha had to wait for 20 years. It is something that you should ponder upon both working and

meditating.

Previous Member
    A person reaches the stage of Arhat by sitting in awareness and on all thoughts and moods by applying the Wisdom that Nothing exists or everything is impermanent or everything that passes in mind is temporary and will go away. Similarly all outer incidents which he perceives will all pass away . Thus finally he reaches the stage of arhat. This is a stage of No outflows as there is nothing inside and there are also no inflows because of Wisdom of " Nothing Exists"

In case of Bhoddhisattvas and Budhas there are No outflows but inflows remain.
    Last edited by riju; 23 Jun 12 at 12:44. Reason: typing mistake

Can you give the links to this suttas you talk about?

and i just wonder what Buddhist tradition you are following

The thinker

Previous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post

The thinker

It was suggested that instead of links I have to give you reference to chapters on Lotus sutra, which I have done'. This is probably being done to save the space.

I am not even a Buddhist, but by birth I am a Hindu. Earlier I used to respect Gita , but now I am totally hooked to Lotus sutra and for me nothing exists beyond this sutra.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post

The thinker
    There's a link to the Lotus Sutra in #15 of this thread.

Forums Member
    Please understand that this teaching is very very difficult and Guatam Buddha had to wait for 20 years. It is something that you should ponder upon both working and

meditating.
    The teachings are very, very difficult therefore, Just the lotus sutra alone cannot teach everything. I find the lotus sutra just a summery on his teachings just an outline on his teachings more like a reminder to what he have taught.

A person reaches the stage of Arhat by sitting in awareness and on all thoughts and moods by applying the Wisdom that Nothing exists or everything is impermanent or everything that passes in mind is temporary and will go away. Similarly all outer incidents which he perceives will all pass away . Thus finally he reaches the stage of arhat. This is a stage of No outflows as there is nothing inside and there are also no inflows because of Wisdom of " Nothing Exists"
    So this is what you have learn from the lotus sutra. If it is this simple to become an arhat then there would be a Buddha existed for each eons.

One cannot put thought on nothing exist without thorough understanding the idea of nothing exist and attain arhatship. You cannot blindly do something without fully understand it and hope to gain something great from it.

The Buddha have thoroughly taught how to attain enlightment through deep meditation and it is not one page long. If you put only this teaching on meditation from various sutra on attaining greatness up to arhatship and make it into a book it would be as big as the lotus sutra.

I say this because I have read many sutras including the lotus sutra and have encountered many explanations on the meditations on attaining greatness up to arhatship.

To understand this science one has to go to Lotus sutra.
    The lotus sutra is not a large book therefore can you please quote the teachings on the science of existence? I wish to know how the Tathagatha explain on nothing exist in the lotus sutra. Thank you.
    You claim that nothing exists, so when a person asks you to why you think like that you turn them to the lotus sutra. Now that same person has thoroughly examined the lotus sutra and cannot find the teachings on explaining to why nothing exists. All this person can find is the talk about nothing exist without the explanation.

You cannot go around and tell people nothing exists without a thorough explanation, as suggested from the story of this thread where the master smacks him.

You can but it will make you a false preacher unless you can back up your idea in which you have not yet and so I ask you again not to assume you are a false preacher. How is it nothing exists? Please explain.

Previous Member
    I had been out on holiday for 3 days. Now have come back and I have read your letter. A lot of saints have affirmed " Nothing Exists". All their explanations you must have read. It has to experienced but you want me to talk about it from my own experience. In fact you also took out a para from Guatam Buddha" suta about rubbing of palms etc.

I promise I will try to explain "Nothing Exists" for next three days from my experience. But those experiences are mine own and I will not be able to give reference to Guatam Buddha

Lotus sutra talks about Emptiness or Suniata. Why does he do it again and again? What is the difference between Nothing exists or Emptiness? Simply because when nothing exists than emptiness comes in space.

Guatam Buddha has explained that something inside us perceives that is why we see things outside. When we reach a stage in meditation beyond perceiving, we shall experience Nothing alround. In meditation we can go beyond perceiving and if we go again and again and go beyond perceiving. We start realising that Nothing EXists. Because this develops into a Wisdom and this Wisdom comes in front of us when we see outside world with our senses. Our reaction is as if nothing exists or nothing is happening. There is no effort to be put in. All your inward intelligent beings (and they are many) will do their work of your existence like eating, walking etc. on their own as they are below the perceiving range and they will react automatically.

At this state there are no inflows in the person who is in that stage. He is an arhat. He is always at peace.

I will continue to explain this tomorrow from another point of view. In fact Nothing Exists is an absolute Truth.
    Even when we advance in meditation beyond senses, logic, Wisdom, still beyond and beyond. We will realise in deepest of depth that nothing exists... till tomorrow..

Buddhism doesn't teach that nothing exists, riju. I think you might be completely misunderstanding teachings on anatta and emptiness.

If you wish to learn about the teachings of the Buddha, then the Lotus Sutra definately isn't a good place for a beginner to start .

Previous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka-D View Post
    Buddhism doesn't teach that nothing exists, riju. I think you might be completely misunderstanding teachings on anatta and emptiness.

If you wish to learn about the teachings of the Buddha, then the Lotus Sutra definately isn't a good place for a beginner to start .
    Ok and thanks for the advice.

Forums Member
    Maybe look at Emptiness as 'being Pure'. That is our essence, and absolute reality. Our nature is Knowing, relative reality. The two are a unity, the outcome is compassion.

No thing exists, means they do not exist by themselves. All things in the universe are created by a cause and conditions. They only seem to exist.

if a 'thing' truly existed, it would never not exist..it would be constant forever. However all 'things' have a beginning, a middle and an end. So cannot be said to truly exist.

So what truly exists?

Well, our Essence cannot be said to exist or not exist, but is constant. That inner space, and outer space seem to be the only constants.
    So this Essence is the only reality.

Though no thing truly exists, like emotions, which is all part of relative seemingly real truth, it's essence is Emptiness. This is how all of phenomena becomes our symbolic teacher, therefore the two truths work very nicely together.

Essence is Emptiness is pure, however anything can arise in it, and dissolve back into emptiness. Like the white of this screen!

Tony

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 10:59 AM Sun, 12:59 PM Sun, 6:59 PM Sun, 11:29 PM Mon, 1:59 AM Mon, 4:59 AM