Share on Facebook
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Nothing Exists

Previous Member
    Annata

This will not lead an awakened disciple toward the self-realization of Noble Wisdom.

To practice dhyana, the earnest disciple should retire to a quiet and solitary place, remembering that life-long habits of discriminative thinking cannot be broken off easily nor quickly.

One must remember here are four kinds of concentrative meditation (dhyana):

I agree with your method of meditation. But if one can understand Absolute Emptiness and meditate than things become simpler. Whatever thoughts come in meditation, one applies this lasting Wisdom of Emptiness of all phenomena and reaches arhat stage

Previous Member
    Anata,

Guatam Buddha transceded this thinking of Nothing.

To understand Absolute Emptiness/ Nothing you have to TRANSCEND and not to do hair spliting

Previous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuan View Post
    Again, why do Buddhas want to build improving (freedom from dukkha) and expanding existence with time.
    Also, in your view, doesn't Existence rises out of Emptiness? So for you to say that the basic nature of Emptiness is to demolish existence with time means that every time Existence goes back to the source and come out, Existence losses something, so eventually, there will only be Emptiness that does not generate Existence.
    I have liked the word Transcend used by Buddha about Nothingness. Because otherwise it creates total confusion in the mind of a layman.

IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND NOTHINGNESS/EMPTINESS please transcend its meaning by meditation.
    Last edited by riju; 01 Jul 12 at 11:25.

Would it not be better to help layBuddhist to get a better understanding then to confuse them?

The thinker

Previous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post
    Would it not be better to help layBuddhist to get a better understanding then to confuse them?

The thinker

Yes, I thought i am writing on Mahayana forum. What should I do now?

Previous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post

The thinker
    When I joined this site, I found the thread "Nothing Exists". I found it interesting and latched on it, and then you know the sequence. Moreover I live in an area where everyone looks down upon a Buddhist. And Buddhist are treated as untouchables. No one knows or talks about Buddhism. I thought I will find company in Buddhist forums. May be I was lonely and rushed into this forum without thinking.
    Last edited by riju; 01 Jul 12 at 11:39.

I would say you are welcome here in BWB and i really hope you will stay here and gain more understanding of Buddhism and to ask things you want to know about. and of course you can also read other texts then the Lotus suttas.

Best wish from
    The thinker

Dear riju,

Quote Originally Posted by riju View Post
    In this Guatam Buddha advises the Bodhisatva monks the methods they should

adopt to teach the layman.

A layman has first ot empty himself to reach arhatship. And this is the perfect

advice for layman.
    Being rid of self-view is essential, as emptiness refers to being empty of self. Emptiness avoids the extremes of self-existence (eternalism) and absolute non-existence (annihilationism). In reference to this, it is said that "nothing exists [inherently]."

But this does not challange the Universal Emptiness that I have explaind as a

summery in the last letter
    The Universal Emptiness you have explained is not taught by the Buddha, and does not appear in the Lotus Sutra. It appears that you may be mistaking emptiness for some type of cosmic oneness, which the Buddha never taught, not even in Mahayana. This, unfortunately, is a common misconception.

Does this not confirm that there is only one Buddha of this era. This Lotus sutra

is written by Guatam and he confirms in this sutra that he has sum total

knowledge. If you insist than I have to search with a lot of effort this book and refer

back to you. I advice if you search yourself you will gain a lot.
    The Lotus Sutra was not written by the Buddha. None of the suttas/sutras were. It is doubtful the Lotus Sutra was even spoken by the historical Buddha. Furthermore, the topic of this thread is not "The Lotus Sutra", and although I'd like to continue to demonstrate to you that the Lotus Sutra not only contradicts itself but also has little to do with what you're saying, this is not the thread for it. The topic of this thread is "Nothing Exists", specifically in relation to the Zen story quoted in the original post.

Nirvan is a place in this space in this Universe. I do not want to change this

opinion till some one else comes with added information. There is a chapter that

Buddhas who go to Nirvan they rain down on bhoddisattvas, Sons, and buddhist

laymen more than even on Brahma. I can also search out this reference for you.
    Nirvana is not a place. It does not physically exist. This doesn't mean that Nirvana doesn't exist at all, just that the view that it is a location where awakened beings go is mistaken.

Guatam refuses to take position on cosmos being eternal, it has nothing to do with existance or non-existence.
    If you read the full quote, the Buddha also refuses to take a position on whether the Tathagata exists or does not exist after death. Existence and non-existence are not important to his teachings. This should have been clear from the OP. Do you have anything to say about the story about Dokuon and Yamaoka? If you'd like to discuss the Lotus Sutra exclusively, it might be best to start a new topic.

On remaining points I beg to differ
    None of your points are supported by the Buddha's teachings.

Abhaya

Previous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhaya View Post
    Dear riju,

Being rid of self-view is essential, as emptiness refers to being empty of self. Emptiness avoids the extremes of self-existence (eternalism) and absolute non-existence (annihilationism). In reference to this, it is said that "nothing exists [inherently]."

The Universal Emptiness you have explained is not taught by the Buddha, and does not appear in the Lotus Sutra. It appears that you may be mistaking emptiness for some type of cosmic oneness, which the Buddha never taught, not even in Mahayana. This, unfortunately, is a common misconception.
    In my last writing on Universal Existance I have clearly give Guatam's view as well as other saints view. Guatam had avoided this topic as this does not help the Existence.

When Guatam buddha was physical alive on earth, writings were not there. His sutras were memorised and written later. If you read the lotus sutra its first page gives the exact location (which is still there in India) and also the persons present at that time were also named.

The Lotus Sutra was not written by the Buddha. None of the suttas/sutras were. It is doubtful the Lotus Sutra was even spoken by the historical Buddha. Furthermore, the topic of this thread is not "The Lotus Sutra", and although I'd like to continue to demonstrate to you that the Lotus Sutra not only contradicts itself but also has little to do with what you're saying, this is not the thread for it. The topic of this thread is "Nothing Exists", specifically in relation to the Zen story quoted in the original post.

Nirvana is not a place. It does not physically exist. This doesn't mean that Nirvana doesn't exist at all, just that the view that it is a location where awakened beings go is mistaken.
    Nirvana and Buddha lands are places beyond physical senses.

If you read the full quote, the Buddha also refuses to take a position on whether the Tathagata exists or does not exist after death. Existence and non-existence are not important to his teachings. This should have been clear from the OP. Do you have anything to say about the story about Dokuon and Yamaoka? If you'd like to discuss the Lotus Sutra exclusively, it might be best to start a new topic.

None of your points are supported by the Buddha's teachings.
    I have to be blunt here. Lotus sutra is about existence and nothing but the existence. You have not understood it.

Abhaya

Abhay I hope you do not mind for contradicting you. Love

Quote Originally Posted by Abhaya
    The Lotus Sutra was not written by the Buddha. None of the suttas/sutras were. It is doubtful the Lotus Sutra was even spoken by the historical Buddha.

Furthermore, the topic of this thread is not "The Lotus Sutra", and although I'd like to continue to demonstrate to you that the Lotus Sutra not only contradicts itself but also has little to do with what you're saying, this is not the thread for it.

The topic of this thread is "Nothing Exists", specifically in relation to the Zen story quoted in the original post.
    Thank you Abhaya - and riju.

I think that at #120 and page 12, its time to close this thread now because it has moved far away from the OP #1 and doesn't seem to be going anywhere constructive.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

If anyone wants to start other topics they're very welcome.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 9:28 AM Sun, 11:28 AM Sun, 5:28 PM Sun, 9:58 PM Mon, 12:28 AM Mon, 3:28 AM