Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hi, i'm confused

Forums Member

hi, i'm confused

I am pretty new to Buddhism and I don't exactly know which school I belong to. I think I would call myself a Tibetan Buddhist, but i'm not even sure what school that is. Can anyone help me clarify/decide this?! Thank you

hi ben

if you share what you are seeking from Buddhism, that may be helpful

regards

Forums Member
    At this point I don't even know. I seem to be getting lost in trying to choose which school is right for me. I guess what I really seek is liberation. Liberation from self, liberation from pleasure and pain. That sort of thing

generally, we who looked for liberation started our buddhism by practising meditation

for example, when i first was exposed to buddhism (when visiting a monastary as a tourist while traveling in Asia), i bought a book on meditation there and began practising it

so just visiting a dharma centre can be a useful starting point. if it does not resonate with you then try another dharma centre

Hi Ben,

the Buddhanet worldwide search facility might come up with some groups in your area

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

Hi Ben- I know how you feel, a friend recently asked my what school I belong to and I had no answer. I've since started reading more about the different traditions and trying to figure out which one I could follow. There are a few centers in my area but I just haven't found the time to visit one. Thanks for the question though, it's nice to know I'm not the only one :)

Hi Ben,
    I totally understand your issue. I have bounce around studying one "school" after another. I've also spent a small fortune on books, don't make that mistake. I would recommend that you use the internet to research various branches of Buddhism. Go to the areas on this site related to these branches and read the posts.

Find what you feel comfortable with. I found that I had to really dig deep into each school to decide how I felt about each one. I'm a bit of a rebellious person so Chan/Zen is where I have landed. Keep in mind though that most older Buddhist traditions are good. I would warn that there are some out there that I would avoid. I will not go into detail on this though. Do your research.

Hands Palm to Palm,
    Rhysman

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysman View Post
    I'm a bit of a rebellious person so Chan/Zen is where I have landed.

Quote Originally Posted by benthebuddhist View Post
    I am pretty new to Buddhism and I don't exactly know which school I belong to. I think I would call myself a Tibetan Buddhist, but i'm not even sure what school that is. Can anyone help me clarify/decide this?! Thank you
    Hi Ben,

Tibetan Buddhism often strongly emphasizes the need for finding a teacher. If you're interested in Tibetan Buddhism, it is highly advisable to research their beliefs and see if they are truly compatible with your outlook, and then, as with in any other tradition, take the time to really get to know a community.

Interacting with a teacher and with a community of other Buddhist practitioners might help you learn a lot about yourself, your beliefs, and your goals. Doing some investigation of this type can shed new light on your practice and clear up some of your confusion.

There is only so much a person can get from books and videos. Making contact with others really puts what one has learned to the test. Good luck!

Abhaya

Quote Originally Posted by benthebuddhist View Post
    As someone who has hovered on the fringes of Buddhist thought for many years without taking the plunge, I am much like you in being confused about the differing schools and where do I belong in the mix.

My question to those who post here would be, do you feel there is a major benefit in carefully parsing each tradition for the one that fits?

Coming from a christian protestent background, I have, for all of my adult life considered myself a non-denominational person. There was never one denomination or another that offered the feeling of a truly comfortable fit. I guess you could say I'm more of a cafeteria type seeker. lol

My attraction to the Buddha has come through the reading of various authors and teachers who, I have no doubt, were adherents of different schools of thought and yet I learned something from each of them that resonated with me.

Is there an advantage I'm not seeing in becoming an acolyte of this, that or the other school?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 9:10 AM Thu, 11:10 AM Thu, 5:10 PM Thu, 9:40 PM Fri, 12:10 AM Fri, 2:10 AM