Share on Facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Confessions of Kalu Rinpoche

When I was talking with the current Kalu Rinpoche, he said that he was "Shangpa and not Kagyu". He made a point to differentiate, but I didn't ask him why. Maybe he wants to be the head of his own lineage, and not get involved in Kagyu affairs, or maybe it's the historical thread of transmission he wants to distinguish... just speculating - I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    When I was talking with the current Kalu Rinpoche, he said that he was "Shangpa and not Kagyu". He made a point to differentiate, but I didn't ask him why. Maybe he wants to be the head of his own lineage, and not get involved in Kagyu affairs, or maybe it's the historical thread of transmission he wants to distinguish... just speculating - I have no idea.

That's very interesting .... and I sincerely hope that he always abides in safety and well being.

My monasteries: A new vision and approach

Kalu Rinpoche talks about his plans for his monasteries....

My dear friends, I want to share with all of you the vision I have for my monasteries.

From outside everything looks very beautiful. But looking behind the glossy cover of the magazine, the reality is quite different. I really feel that a lot needs to be changed:

Young children are mainly brought to the monastery to become monks because of their families’ financial difficulty. This is not the choice of the children .

Then they receive a religious education but not a regular education. This means that when the children grow up, if they decide to leave the monastery they have no way to live a good life.

I have close friends who left the monastery when they became 19 or 20 yrs old, and now they are washing dishes in a restaurant or driving taxi. Since they have no training or education for living in the world, they will have a very difficult time to have a full and happy life. This breaks my heart.

Also I see the young monks learning about Dharma without having any direct experience of life; nor without the expericnce of Dharma in life.

For example, I learned, as many young monks learn, that samsara lies outside the walls of the monastery; that those who are in relationship, those who are married, those who work and are fully engaged in life are in samsara while those of us in the monastery are not in samsara. We are educated with this kind of pride, this kind of prejudice.

Some of these monks then go into retreat and come out as Lamas. They are invited to the west to live and teach in a Buddhist center. And when they arrive, they discover that “Samsara is Beautiful”.

They then want to experience everything that life has to offer, and too often get involved in dharma business, and abusing and taking advantage of innocent people. Too often they use the Dharma to cover up and justify their personal behavior.

continued :

http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/09...or-the-future/

Kalu Rinpoche's sad story was in the UK press here yesterday:...........

"The YouTube confessional sending shockwaves through the Buddhist world

Young Kalu Rinpoche's traumatic revelations highlight the dissonance between Tibetan tradition and 21st-century life."

by Mary Finnigan

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...?newsfeed=true

The website mentioned in the newspaper article isn't his personal website, I think this one is:

http://www.paldenshangpa.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 10:26 AM Fri, 12:26 PM Fri, 6:26 PM Fri, 10:56 PM Sat, 1:26 AM Sat, 4:26 AM