Share on Facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of Kalu Rinpoche

Confessions of Kalu Rinpoche

The young Kalu Rinpoche speaks frankly about his life as a tulku so far......
    ...very sad

More from him here: "Broken Hearted in France"

http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/04...ted-in-france/

...and some interesting observations: "Fix Your Mind, Confusion is not an option"....

"We call ourselves Buddhist. We always think that we need to go to a monastery, take refuge, make connections with high lamas , practice meditation, wear robes, do three-year retreat, etc.

Actually the point is more simple: All we need is one person, he or she, who is able to free our deluded mind. If the personal connection with that person can fix our mind, whether he or she is a Buddhist or Christian, religious or secular, that person who can really fix our mind is the buddha !

Don’t make your beliefs so solid. Even at the time of Buddha the followers connected directly to the Buddha himself. No colors, no big temples, no ceremonies; just person to person. So what you need is to find a person who has life experience and spiritual qualification that can fix your mind. That’s all you need. Take your time and be patient, that’s the key.

If you want to fall into more confusion there are many masters who will mess you up easily, for sure it will work, but for me confusion is not an option."

http://www.paldenshangpa.net/2011/11...not-an-option/

Thanks Aloka,

Seems that it is a valuable and courageous testimony...

Hope that the school can be a place for true deliverance and awakening.
    Last edited by Esho; 07 Dec 11 at 22:12.

Forums Member
    May Rinpoche be well and happy....

Quote Originally Posted by plwk View Post
    May Rinpoche be well and happy....
    Absolutely

When he came to Santa Fe I had the chance to meet with him personally and to go to a public lecture. I should note at least 60% of the people at the lecture had been students of the previous Kalu Rinpoche.

He was very open, and told his story to the group, but he said it all with a bit more humor than in the video. He was very witty and told everyone to "stop being so Buddhist". He kept saying, "I'm the real Kalu Rinpoche, don't look at the magazines!" He also said, "my previous incarnation built centers all over the world, but I'm going to tear them down." He also played down his experience in his 3 year retreat, and said he had very little to offer aside from "friendship on the path". As much as he plays himself down, I felt a very strong blessing, and this was noted by the people I was with. Also, some of my friends, who had taken refuge with the previous Kalu Rinpoche, said he his radical approach was familiar to them.

After 15 years doing committed practice, and listening to my teachers, and doing my own research, I have also come to the conclusion that the Tibetan monastic system is a feudalistic power structure. I can also see how the monk/nun system should be revamped in a way where the children in the monasteries can get a real education and have the potential to do more with their lives.

I think it takes a lot of courage for a person in such a position, the only Rinpoche in the Shangpa tradition (not Kagyu by the way), to break down the structure that would hold him up so high. He is a threat to certain people and they would like to see him stopped.

I should also add that there was a very large rainbow coming down right onto the lecture hall, seen by a friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    the Shangpa tradition (not Kagyu by the way)
    As far as I know, there isn't a separate Shangpa tradition now, it was merged as a branch of Karma Kagyu. The previous Kalu Rinpoche was a lama of the Kagyu Shangpa lineage and taught and gave empowerments at Karma Kagyu centres around the world.

The present tulku was born in 1990, recognised in 1992 by HE Tai Situ Rinpoche of the Karma Kagyu lineage and officially enthroned in 1993 by Situ Rinpoche,Gyaltsap Rinpoche and Bokar Rinpoche (all Karma Kagyu).

Information about Shangpa Kagyu can be found here and it mentions Kalu Rinpoche as the present lineage holder:

http://www.palpung.eu/kagyu/shangpa-kagyu/en/

He is also in a list of Kagyu teachers here:

http://www.palpung.eu/lehrer-der-kag...ere-lehrer/en/

Previous Member
    that was heartbreaking. I think of the monks abusing a child and it makes me so disturbed. I grew up in a fervently Roman Catholic family, before I began studying the dharma. I think it was sinead o'connor's vitriolic wake up call to the sex abuse by catholic priests that shook me out of my faith in the clergy.

I suppose it's my western naievete that makes me think that, if anyone would adhere to vows, it would be buddhist clergy. Not so.

He's very trusting to continue to practice the dharma, having been around bad examples like that.

Forums Member
    I am not a Kagyu expert by any means, but I think that there may be some practices unique to the Shangpa tradition. i would have to look into this a little more, though. Just from an interest point of view.

Terma

Quote Originally Posted by Terma View Post
    I am not a Kagyu expert by any means, but I think that there may be some practices unique to the Shangpa tradition. i would have to look into this a little more, though. Just from an interest point of view.

Terma
    Very probably. It was originally connected with 2 women -Sukasiddhi, and Niguma who was the consort /or sister of Naropa.

Regarding the previous Kalu Rinpoche, when I was a young girl I received a number of teachings and empowerments from him in different centres in Europe, when he was an old man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 7:18 AM Tue, 9:18 AM Tue, 3:18 PM Tue, 7:48 PM Tue, 10:18 PM Wed, 1:18 AM