Thread: Spell check

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar

Spell check

You may not be aware that there is a feature for spell-checking before you post.

Spell checking is not a function of the forum software, it's a browser function. Different browsers have different approaches to spell checking and the forum software tries to co-operate with all of them.

Internet Explorer
    Internet Explorer needs activation of a plug-in called ieSpell. If it's not already installed, you get a message about it after clicking on the spell-check icon (visible only to Internet Explorer users). The spell-check icon is made of the letters ABC and a green tick. Instructions on how to use it are on the ieSpell web site.

Google Chrome
    Chrome has a spell-check built in, and it marks words needing attention with a wavy underline. Right-click a marked word to get a list of suggested corrections or add the word to your dictionary.

Safari
    Safari on Mac uses the OS X spell checker and marks words needing attention. To enable it if not already on, click Edit on the menu bar and select Spelling->Check Spelling as You Type. If you press Control-Left-Click while pointing to a marked word, you'll see a list of suggested corrections or you can add the word to your dictionary.

Firefox
    The Firefox browser does not seem to support a spell-check.

So there you are. If you want to have some help with spelling, the choice of browser you use determines how much help you will get.

Woodscooter.

Previous Member
    Thanks Woody IMO my spelling has started to deteriorate a fair bit.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Woodscooter.

I'm on internet explorer and have iespell installed but when I use it, it messes up the words, I'll see if I can show you what I mean
    spelling the sentence below wrongly and then running the iespell turns it from this,

Todey at 11:43 I ran the spll chck
    to this
    Todayey at 11:43 I ran thspelllcheckck

Oh, horrible result. I will try it out for myself and will get back to you.

-- WS.

Well, Karma, I installed iespell on my Internet Explorer and found it worked OK for me. I could highlight individual words and right click, or I could highlight the whole post and right-click, for it to stop at each mis-spelled word and present a list of alternatives.

I found that clicking on the ABC icon did not run the spell checker for me, though. It did nothing at all.

So I can't suggest what's wrong with the spell check for you. I'm using Internet Explorer 9, what version are you on?

WS

I'm also using Internet Explorer 9.

I wasn't highlighting the text, I was just clicking the iespell button at the top of the page. When I highlight the text it does indeed work fine.
    Thanks

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 10:50 PM Tue, 12:50 AM Tue, 6:50 AM Tue, 11:20 AM Tue, 1:50 PM Tue, 3:50 PM