Share on Facebook
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your understanding of Cessation ?

Dear friends,

What is your understanding of 'cessation' (nirodha) in relation to the Third Noble Truth ?

Perhaps you'd like to share some thoughts and personal reflections on this subject.

Good question! Seeing as how the 4NT begin with the truth of dukkha, the culmination of the path would have to be the cessation of dukkha, seems. No more negative states (as opposed to transient aches and pains).

From what I've gathered so far, steps along the path require 'seeing' for oneself how phenomena arise (paticca samuppada) and thus, no longer mistaking oneself for one Self, but instead as an impersonal bundle of flowing phenomena (anatta).

With proper training in mindfulness, dispassion and compassion, the mind will no longer consider itself or anything else to be an entity in the way that it did before. That, for me, is liberation. There is nothing to be gained nor lost, no matter what happens, for there is no entity to gain or lose anything. You realize that nothing was created at birth, and nothing will disappear at death. No 'thing', ultimately, continues on from moment to moment.

From that point, relaxation becomes second nature, so to speak. Cessation of striving to be, striving to become, to survive disappear as obvious non sequiturs from what was perceived.

A clear state of mind that no longer reactively throws up "grabbing at" and "pushing away".

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Pink_trike:
    from post #3
    Yes, of course; to cease being caught by greed and hatred states of mind because of delusion wich makes us suffer.

Does it have anything to do with nirodha-samāpatti or are they two different things?

Nirodha-samāpatti is the meditative stage before liberation and after the formless jhanas
    URL

Quote Originally Posted by srivijaya #5:
    Does it have anything to do with nirodha-samāpatti or are they two different things?

Nirodha-samāpatti is the meditative stage before liberation and after the formless jhanas
    I don't know, as I have a Vajrayana background I'm still not familiar with a lot of Pali terminology. It seems like something different because at the ]URL[/url]

if nirodha-samapatti comes after the previous attainment of arahantship then presumably cessation re the aggregates happens before that?

Allis
    Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Aloka-D:
    from post #1
    Isn`t cessation a mind construct? Cessation of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Allis #8:
    Isn`t cessation a mind construct? Cessation of what?
    Cessation in relation to the teachings of the Buddha....

"Now this, monks, is the noble truth of stress: Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful; sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful; association with the unbeloved is stressful, separation from the loved is stressful, not getting what is wanted is stressful.

In short, the five clinging-aggregates are stressful."

SN 56 .11

Dunno Aloka-D. It's all unchartered waters for me. I'd only ever encountered the term as a meditative stage just prior to liberation, ie. a prerequisite of it.
    I remember a Bhante V talk about it where he explained that complete loss of awareness was a temporary event but that it was possible to clearly see D.O. kicking in afterwards, so that one is able to see the complete process of binding from zero upwards.

This knowledge, as far as I know, is the attainment of unbinding; arahantship.

Daniel Ingram has written this piece:
    URL
    I'm not endorsing it btw (before anyone jumps on me) but it makes for an interesting read.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 3:23 AM Mon, 5:23 AM Mon, 11:23 AM Mon, 4:53 PM Mon, 7:23 PM Mon, 10:23 PM