Share on Facebook
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What the Buddha Really Taught

Quote Originally Posted by Sobeh #20:
    Well, I have a growing suspicion that something similar took place in translating the Dhamma into Chinese; the Mahayana Sutras took on some Taoist terminology in order to manipulate it to serve the larger Buddhist pedagogical intention, and thus some habitual Taoist ideas crept into that particular mix.
    Thanks Sobeh dear, very interesting... its a fortune to have such an expert in this topics here with us...

In some way I like Taoism and for some time I were into Taoism before reaching and understanding Buddhism. My very first tradition was indeed Tao.

is the Lotus Sutra held in any esteem by the Ch'an/Zen school?
    Yes, but not for all the schools of Zen. In my particular school we have in higher steem the Sutta given by the Thirth Ancestor as the Sandokai writen by Sekito Kisen, and much of Dogen's aproach to zazen.

Taoist terminology in order to manipulate it to serve the larger Buddhist pedagogical intention,
    Out from the topic,

When I was younger I was devoted to social activism and in some way I found in Taoism some kind of political branch rationality. But holding this Taoist perspective I started to understood may subtle things about myself and my dedication to that.

And now I am here in the buddhist realm...

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Kaarine Alejandra:
    from post #16
    From Bodhidharma

Bodhidharma was a Buddhist monk from southern India who lived during the early 5th century and is traditionally credited as the transmitter of Zen (Chinese: Chán) to China.

Very little contemporary biographical information on Bodhidharma is extant, and subsequent accounts became layered with legend, but most accounts agree that he was from the southern region of India, born as a prince to a royal family. Bodhidharma left his kingdom after becoming a Buddhist monk and travelled through Southeast Asia into Southern China and subsequently relocated northwards.

------------------------------------------------------
    Theravada came from Southern India to Sri lanka to Thailand (Southeast Asia) before Zen.

Seem Theravada and Zen went some same path, Southern India and Southeast Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to sukitlek:
    from post #24
    Thanks sukitlek dear,

Zen means "just meditation" as za-zen means "just sitting meditation". So I can understand that Boddhidharma brought, in some way, an understanding that was called Zen later. Then, can we tell, that Boddhidharma brought a Theravadin understaning at the time he leave the southern region of India and went to the southern region of China?

If that is so, then, and whith what is told by Sobeh, Zen is a melting pot of Tao tradition because Chinese mood about life, Theravada tradition because the way Boddhidharma understood buddhism and the meditation aproach which is very particular for Cha'an (China) and Soto Zen (Japan) beacuse the particular development of Boddhidharma teaching once he reached Suthern China...

This is wonderfull to know...

Thanks very much...

Forums Member
    is the Lotus Sutra held in any esteem by the Ch'an/Zen school?
    From my long years with Ch'an temples/centres, yes, this Sutra is esteemed but also perhaps it must be mentioned on one particular chapter of It, here, recited every New/Full Moon Days as part of the Morning Liturgy and on the tri-annual special days dedicated to Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva in the Chinese Mahayana Liturgical calendar.

It's also one of my favs...especially on the 'One Buddha Vehicle'...

Forums Member
    Remarkable - I had forgotten the unique feel of Mahayana Sutras. Sort of nostalgiac, really.

andyrobyn
    Thank you for the link plwk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 7:10 AM Tue, 9:10 AM Tue, 3:10 PM Tue, 7:40 PM Tue, 10:10 PM Wed, 1:10 AM