Share on Facebook
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Nichiren

Quote Originally Posted by plwk View Post
    Two of my fav Daimoku chants...

Soka Gakkai? That's another world by itself...maybe someone will assist you on that...
    I really like the 2nd one.

Forums Member
    I practice with Rissho Kosei Kai which is a Lotus Sutra -centered "Ekayana" sect of Buddhism from Japan. RKK is Nichiren influenced but does not consider itself to be a Nichiren school. A practice unique to RKK is hoza which is a form of group counselling which uses the foundational teachings of Buddhism (the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path but also the Six Paramitas) as a framework to examine our everyday life problems and issues through the lens of Buddhadharma.

The main practice of RKK is chanting portions of the chapters of the Lotus Sutra (in RKK we chant these in the language of our understanding - in my case English as the point is to understand what you are chanting - chanting helps you to focus and internalize) as well as O-Daimoku (basically the title of the Lotus Sutra) as well as Ti Sarana (Taking the Three Refuges). We consider ourselves to be mainstream Buddhism and engage in a lot of interfaith and peace activities. Many of us also practice sitting meditation as a part of our daily practice. RKK is very ecumenical and believes that there are "84,000" paths to enlightenment so we do not suffer from the "one true school" syndrome - folks should gravitate to the school of Buddhadharma which resonates best for them.

There are many different sects of Nichiren Buddhism. Soka Gakkai which is the largest Nichiren Buddhist organization and Nichiren Shoshu which is its parent school (although they split in a schism) are very fervent in their particular approach. On the other hand, I have found that some other schools like Nichiren Shu is more mainstream Buddhist in focus and their practice is very similar to RKK with a focus on the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, Six Paramitas, etc..

Here are some links to RKK websites (and I can answer any questions you have on RKK):

http://www.rk-world.org/home.aspx

http://www.buddhistcenter-rkina.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dsaly1969
    Here are some links to RKK websites (and I can answer any questions you have on RKK):
    Hi dsaly1969,

I think its worth noting that the OP #1 of this thread was written more than 6 months ago and Jupitermadcat hasn't been back to the website for 4 months.

with kind wishes

Aloka

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka-D View Post
    Hi dsaly1969,

I think it might be worth noting that the OP #1 of this thread was written more than 6 months ago and Jupitermadcat hasn't been back to the website for over 4 months.

with kind wishes

Aloka
    Oops! Sorry! I thought I would just respond to a thread where I thought I could contribute something constructive...

Quote Originally Posted by dsaly1969 View Post
    Oops! Sorry! I thought I would just respond to a thread where I thought I could contribute something constructive...
    Please don't apologise !

I just thought I'd mention that you may not get any response from him.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 2:53 AM Fri, 4:53 AM Fri, 10:53 AM Fri, 3:23 PM Fri, 5:53 PM Fri, 8:53 PM