Share on Facebook
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nichiren

Quote Originally Posted by Human_Revolution View Post
    Have only just seen this topic.

I am a member of the SGI-UK (Soka Gakkai International - United Kingdom).

I would be happy to try and answer any questions (to the best of my abilities).

Hi, H_R,

Thanks for posting here! Since we have been discussing Nichiren and SGI at some length, it's good to have someone on the thread who is an actual practitioner in this tradition.

I have a few questions for you, mainly drawn from the discussion so far.

1. Is faith the main element in your practice? If so, how did you develop this faith? Do you feel it has been confirmed by experience? What have you found beneficial about daimoku, and about your practice in general?

2. Are Nichiren and SGI as sectarian as some (including me in the posts above) make it out to be? How do you assess Nichiren's relationship to other Mahayana schools? What about nikaya Buddhism, i.e. the Pali Canon?

3. What drew you to Nichiren in general and SGI in particular?

Thanks,

Rob ("Lazy Eye")
    Last edited by Lazy Eye; 07 Sep 11 at 20:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Eye View Post
    Hi, H_R,

Thanks for posting here! Since we have been discurxssing Nichiren and SGI at some length, it's good to have someone on the thread who is an actual practitioner in this tradition.

I have a few questions for you, mainly drawn from the discussion so far.

1. Is faith the main element in your practice? If so, how did you develop this faith? Do you feel it has been confirmed by experience? What have you found beneficial about daimoku, and about your practice in general?

2. Are Nichiren and SGI as sectarian as some (including me in the posts above) make it out to be? How do you assess Nichiren's relationship to other Mahayana schools? What about nikaya Buddhism, i.e. the Pali Canon?

3. What drew you to Nichiren in general and SGI in particular?

Thanks,

Rob ("Lazy Eye")

I'm Curious as well.

I seen the Rick Ross website i don't know i mean i did see some well known cults on his website but the Amish??? and UFO belivers lol give me a break....
    Last edited by Jupitermadcat; 11 Sep 11 at 16:55.

Forums Member
    You want proof about the Amish?

Here's your proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

Lol

Forums Member
    Hi! I am new to this site, found it on facebook while looking at other Buddhist's sites. About two years ago I was introduced to Mahayana Buddhism, namely the S.G.I, and began chanting. I have had my Gohonzon for almost 2 years. I am disappointed in the practice because it is hard for me to find answers to some of my questions and I have also found that the leadership is big on saying how they are supposed to act, but are not good at following through on any of it. I am sure this might be an experience that only I have had with them. I feel as someone new to the practice, I was not given what I needed to follow the practice.

Anyways, my experience with the chanting has been very positive.

From my understanding of the practice, the Gohonzon is not an object of worship, it is a representation of me. It is a mirror of me and my life. It has Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo written down the middle of the scroll, and the negative deities and positive deities on either side. Not to be worshiped but to be recognized in one's own self to overcome them and lead a happy life.

Chanting the phrase is meant to change your Karma and put your life on the path to become a Boddhisatva, and it is believed everyone can become enlightened and they don't need anyone to be a go between to do that as long as they chant and say the Lotus Sutra.

Okay, so that is my understanding. I am confused right now and am thinking of trying to branch out and try other sects of Buddhism since the practice of the S.G.I. is not working out for me but I love the chanting and am really interested in the teaching of the Buddha. If anyone can suggest anything to me I would appreciate it and be open to some suggestions.

Thanx!

jenrain, there are other Schools of Nichiren Buddhism you could check out here is a site i found helpful.

http://www.thenichirensite.org

Hi Jenrain -- welcome to Buddhism without Boundaries! And thanks for sharing your experiences with SGI and Nichiren.

In terms of recommendations, I think the Insight Meditation Society groups are pretty worthwhile. Although they are based in Theravada rather than Mahayana, their approach is generally open and non-sectarian, and they've been known to invite teachers from across the traditions. They have hundreds of dharma talks available for download at www.dharmaseed.org. So you could listen to a few and see if it's what you're looking for. My local IMS teacher, Tara Brach, also has talks on her website.

Looking specifically at Mahayana, I'd suggest Thich Nhat Hanh or the local Zen center. Dharmaweb has a directory of Buddhist communities in the US and around the world...it should list the main groups in your area. If it were me, I would probably just click on the list for my state, take note of the groups that look worth exploring, and pay them a visit to see if I like the practice and people.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will have suggestions, and maybe some of our Nichiren members would like to comment as well.
    Last edited by Lazy Eye; 13 Sep 11 at 00:57.

Forums Member
    Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. I will make sure to keep you posted on my quest! :) Any other suggestions and websites are certainly welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jenrain
    I am confused right now and am thinking of trying to branch out and try other sects of Buddhism since the practice of the S.G.I. is not working out for me but I love the chanting and am really interested in the teaching of the Buddha. If anyone can suggest anything to me I would appreciate it and be open to some suggestions.
    Hi jenrain,

If you have questions about Buddhism which are not particularly tradition specific, please feel free to ask them to the rest of the group in our Buddhism for Beginners forum.

Since you are expressing an interest in the teachings of the Buddha I also suggest that you read the short text and listen along by MP3 to 'What is Buddhism?' pinned at the beginning of the topic list in the Buddhism for Beginners forum.

with kind wishes,

Aloka-D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 5:36 PM Sun, 7:36 PM Mon, 1:36 AM Mon, 6:06 AM Mon, 8:36 AM Mon, 11:36 AM