Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Point me in the right direction

You also might like to browse the material in our Theravada forum .There's a link to Anapanasati Sutta (Mindfulness with breathing) here:

URL

In general Jin Zen, personally I would definately suggest that you begin with Theravada and investigate other traditions later. I didn't do it that way myself and then found out that there was quite a lot I'd missed out on and much that I'm still discovering, even though I've practised with another tradition for most of my life.

Don't go for the popular ''feel good ''reading material is my advice - Investigate the core teachings of Buddha.

Spiny Norman
    Quote Originally Posted by JIN ZEN #1:
    I just need a push in the right direction please
    Is there a local Buddhist group or centre you can visit? It's good to have regular face-to-face contact with other Buddhists if you can.

Spiny

Previous Member
    If you have an MP3 player or iPod available, there are some great audio talks at:

URL

The speakers in this group have a non-denominational, very down-to-earth "the practice of daily life" sort of attitude. You can listen to the talks, fitting them in when you have time.

As for walking meditation, I find simply concentrating on my feet contacting the earth as I walk to and from work everyday gives me a regular amount of time that's easy to fit in, and gives me literal "grounding" when it's needed.

Spiny Norman
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloka-D #11:
    Don't go for the popular ''feel good ''reading material is my advice - Investigate the core teachings of Buddha.
    Good advice. The Four Noble Truths would be a good place to start.

Spiny

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman #14:
    The Four Noble Truths would be a good place to start.
    Yes, Jin Zen, quite simply, The Four Noble Truths is where you should start !

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Aloka-D:
    from post #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Spiny Norman:
    from post #14
    Yes... also we have the Eightfold Noble Path as our basic and core teaching at the tradition with wich I practice.

It is, maybe, the best way to be started because it gives you a complete comprenhension of what is Buddhism about.

Quote Originally Posted by nowheat #13:
    very down-to-earth "the practice of daily life" sort of attitude.
    If you develop this very attitude from the very begining it would be wonderfull... I can consider that the best "Point me to the right direcction".

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman #12:
    It's good to have regular face-to-face contact with other Buddhists if you can.
    Very good advice... having a direct contact with a Roshi or a practising group gives you a much more better understanding about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaarine Alejandra #16:
    Yes... also we have the Eightfold Noble Path as our basic and core teaching at the tradition with wich I practice.
    The Eightfold Path is usually incuded with the Fourth Noble Truth, Kaarine.

Quote Originally Posted by Replying to Aloka-D:
    from post #19
    Yes, of course and we usualy, as begginers, return again and again to its understanding. Four Noble Truths gives you a very wise understanding for another suttas, teachings and practices and gives us a bridge to keep dialoging with other non Zen tranditions.

Thanks Aloka dear for the remembering...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 2:28 PM Fri, 4:28 PM Fri, 10:28 PM Sat, 3:58 AM Sat, 6:28 AM Sat, 9:28 AM