PDA

View Full Version : Hindrances

Aloka
07 May 11, 08:28
Hi all,

I was looking at the hindrances in Nivarana Sutta : SN 9.64 ...and I wondered if anyone had been able to recognise one or more of these in themselves

If so, which methods, if any, that they are using to deal with them and if they are in accord with the Buddha's advice below ?

AN 9.64 - Nivarana Sutta: Hindrances

"Monks, there are these five hindrances. Which five?

Sensual desire as a hindrance,

ill will as a hindrance,

sloth & drowsiness as a hindrance,

restlessness & anxiety as a hindrance,

and uncertainty as a hindrance.

These are the five hindrances.

"To abandon these five hindrances, one should develop the four frames of reference.

Which four? There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves... mind in & of itself... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world.

To abandon the five hindrances, one should develop these four frames of reference."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an09/an09.064.than.html

:hands:

Lazy Eye
08 May 11, 04:29
Well, I recognize all of these in one form or another.

As for methods, my experience has been that trying to suppress these states when they arise is counterproductive and results, if anything, in a terrific headache.

I've found value in Jack Kornfield's "RAIN" approach (recognize, accept, investigate, non-identify). It could be seen, perhaps, as an extension of the four frames of reference.

How have you been working with them?

BuckyG
08 May 11, 06:21
I wish I didn't recognize any of them, but they all five feel too familiar to me. It usually seems like only one or two seem "active" at a time though.

BuckyG
08 May 11, 06:23
I've found value in Jack Kornfield's "RAIN" approach (recognize, accept, investigate, non-identify). Me too, except with drowsiness. Accepting and investigating that has at times, although not lately, just seemed to make me sleepier.

Lazy Eye
09 May 11, 02:45
Me too, except with drowsiness. Accepting and investigating that has at times, although not lately, just seemed to make me sleepier.

In my case, not that much to investigate. I generally don't get enough sleep.

The other part of the hindrance, sloth, is interesting though. I've found it often sets in when there is some kind of underlying anxiety or unease.

Esho
09 May 11, 03:05
anxiety for sure!

:rolling:

sonofzeus
13 May 11, 04:10
Anxiety and restlessness, I have been diagnosed wtih ADD. Although I think I have gotten better over the years, these two are always around. Especially Americans who have such a strong urge to "be great" and successful suffer from a lot of anxiety. I don't know if its just because I consider myself a beginner, but i experience drowsiness when I meditate too. I guess the best things for us to do would be to use the method of mental noting. Best of Luck!!!

JadeRabbit
13 May 11, 11:51
All the hinderances have affected me a different times. I try just to recognise them when they occur and stay mindful until they pass. As an exercise, I like to pick one and work with it for a while to see what happens. For example, sensual desire - I have problems with greed and food, so try to see what happens when I don't give into desire. There's lots of 'to-ing' and 'fro-ing' in my mind; 'want this', 'dont want this'. Sometimes I give in and sometimes I don't ;D

Luckily, I tend not to have too much ill will, but still work with it and watch when I get impatient with the kids etc. or irritated by someone at work.

The last 3 tend to occur when I'm feeling a bit depressed.

Pretty good advice from the Buddha though, remain 'ardent, alert, & mindful' :up2:

Iron Rabbit
14 May 11, 16:17
The five hindrances sound like a synopsis of human existence. Dishonesty should be the sixth for all who deny that all five hindrances arise naturally in human manifestation. Seeing the hindrances' existence ardently and alertly with awareness exhorts the "awakened", in all stages of enlightenment - beginning, middle and end - to remember to be present until abandonment of all things human occurs - and it will - unvolitionally.

clw_uk
15 May 11, 21:59
Being aware of a hindrance is abandoning it

Once you are aware of hate you are no longer bound to hate, you dont create an "I" around hate

The more we are aware the more the hindrances are abandoned