PDA

View Full Version : Recognising attachment

Aloka
02 May 11, 08:52
I was looking at an article 'Nirvana Now' by Ajahn Sumedho and at this section below,
and I wondered if anyone had any comments. Is it easy for us to become attached to 'Buddhism' itself? Personally I think we can. What do you think ?

"The attachments that we have, even to good things like Buddhism, can also be seen as attachments that blind us. That doesn’t mean we need to get rid of Buddhism. We merely recognize attachment as attachment and see that we create it ourselves out of ignorance. As we keep reflecting on this, the tendency toward attachment falls away, and the reality of nonattachment, of nongrasping, reveals itself in what we may call nibbana."

http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/article/2147/

Magga
02 May 11, 10:56
Yeah I often come to recognise how I cling towards various teachings and teachers of Buddhism; even attaching to certain sects within Buddhism.

Not too long ago I was listening to a Dhamma talk/discussion on non-duality by Ajahn Amaro (Theravada Forest Tradition) and Joseph Bobrow (Zen). I'm quite fond of the Thai Forest Tradition, and so when both teachers were answering questions I kept noticing thoughts like these arising; "go Amaro, you're doing much better at expounding the teachings than Joseph, sounds like Joseph has a few things to learn from Amaro". Thankfully I can recognise those types of deluded thoughts (and the attachment that goes along with it) usually before they go on for too long. I see how these thoughts arise from my conditioned personality view; and how this type of clinging is a cause for stress. Because I found that as soon as Amaro would say something that didn't sound quite right and was a little off the mark, stress would arise, and where there is stress, there is attachment.

Do you ever find yourself trying to explain an aspect of the Buddha's teaching to someone and they disagree with what you're saying and it feels disconcerting? That's clinging right there. Trying to defend your opinion, or proving that your view is right and they are wrong, will inevitably give rise to suffering.

By the way, if anyone is interested in listening to the talks on non-duality by Amaro and Joseph, you can find them at http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/5/

Aloka
02 May 11, 22:37
Thank you for your insightful post and the link, Magga.

:hands:

Esho
03 May 11, 01:28
This thread has made me thought about my attachments to the teachings. I think that attachments are to be overcome gradually beginning with the most coarse ones like sensuality, form, etc... and then going to the more subtle like the ones we have with the teachings. So I rise this question: Isn't the refuge taken in the teachings a kind of subtle, but "needed to begin", attachment? I think that many of us that are into the Dhamma have been found attached in some way, isn't this the case? ;D