PDA

View Full Version : The Last Wish...

plwk
22 Apr 11, 14:12
Once, I was posed this question...
Say I have a possessive parent/sibling/partner/spouse...
and on their death bed, in their last hour...
they take your hand and make a dying wish that you would return back to the faith/creed of the family tradition...
and the dying person starts saying 'Promise me! Promise me!' ...

As a Buddhist, what would you do? What skillful means would you adopt for a case as such?

Esho
22 Apr 11, 14:41
To let her or him die in peace. If she/he needs to hear that, then I will do the promise. The intention is not troubling her/him. Dying is always a difficult moment.

:hands:

fojiao2
22 Apr 11, 15:43
I would promise it in words in order to comfort them, but I wouldn't keep that promise, exactly. The thing is, what that dying person is imagining in their mind is really only their own version of what the family's religion is or means. Furthermore, everything including religion is constantly changing. So, even if you promised to return to the family's faith it would be impossible. It is a jumble of concepts and memories. I know of more than one occasion where my buddhist friends have been told, probably due to their compassion and ethical conduct, how 'really christian' they seem to be (by christians). So, I would cross my fingers, promise the dying person and then keep that promise in my own way, as a buddhist.