PDA

View Full Version : Russian Buddhist join in bigotry

clw_uk
16 Apr 11, 02:56
Hello friends

I was browsing the national secular society internet page when i came across this news feed

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=8372

which was linked to from the NSS page from here

http://www.secularism.org.uk/whatthepaperssay.html?startidx31872=25

While reading the article I found this part a bit confusing

Moscow, April 14, Interfax - The Inter-Religious Council of Russia at its Wednesday meeting disapproved of the propaganda of homosexuality.

"We wish to protect the rights of the absolute majority of people who think homosexuality to be a sin or vice and resist imposing an opposite standpoint through any public campaigns, mass media, education or "legal" or political decisions," says the statement of the Inter-Religious Council issued with regard to the European Court of Human Rights granting the appeal on the ban imposed on the gay-pride parade in Moscow.

The meeting of Orthodoxy, Islam, Buddhism and Judaism representatives asked the authorities to "protect not only the interests of various minorities but also the rights of the country's main population and stop campaigns which intentionally injure moral feelings of Russian citizens who understand that only a man and woman union can generate an adequate family."

How can Buddhists in Russia (of course not all, for sake of not generalisation) join in with this kind of oppression/bigotry?

Element
16 Apr 11, 03:50
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Russia

clw_uk
16 Apr 11, 05:17
ahh thanks element, is it more to do with Tibetan traditional values than Buddhadhamma in your opinion?

fojiao2
16 Apr 11, 11:59
There is not really enough information provided in the article. It doesn't say who was representing the buddhists of Russia, or what their input into the discussion actually was. In American democracy, the rights of the individual are supposed to be protected even if --especially if - they do not fit the whims of the majority, but I don't know how they do things in Russia. If the question is, "How can a buddhist have this view?" , my anwer would be that Dharma is not a dogma, so people generally apply it to the way they already see things, and not everybody who practices dharma is enlightened!!!

Esho
16 Apr 11, 14:20
Moscow, April 14, Interfax - The Inter-Religious Council of Russia at its Wednesday meeting disapproved of the propaganda of homosexuality.

"We wish to protect the rights of the absolute majority of people who think homosexuality to be a sin or vice and resist imposing an opposite standpoint through any public campaigns, mass media, education or "legal" or political decisions," says the statement of the Inter-Religious Council issued with regard to the European Court of Human Rights granting the appeal on the ban imposed on the gay-pride parade in Moscow.

The meeting of Orthodoxy, Islam, Buddhism and Judaism representatives asked the authorities to "protect not only the interests of various minorities but also the rights of the country's main population and stop campaigns which intentionally injure moral feelings of Russian citizens who understand that only a man and woman union can generate an adequate family."

this do not surprises me at all... this sort of things will still be happening anytime humankind insists on making religions out of teachings.

Esho
16 Apr 11, 14:32
ahh thanks element, is it more to do with Tibetan traditional values than Buddhadhamma in your opinion?

Hi Craig,

No, I think it is not about a "Tibetan" issue, this can happen in any kind of "religious community"; the issue you quoted, is about intolerance to the different ones, and it is rooted in religious believes regardless of whether it is Tibetan or Zen or Catholic or Politics... its dogmatism which is at the root of the fear to the different one, and also "religious believe" is not just about religion but a special manner to think or "see" the world.

Esho
16 Apr 11, 14:43
not everybody who practices dharma is enlightened!!!

Yes, true. But there is no need to be "enlightened" so to understand intolerance; it is about basic ethics and this can be learnt in school or taught at home regardless of being or not into Dhamma.

Mystic1
24 Apr 11, 00:00
Buddhism survived in Russia during the Soviet period by aligning itself with the State. One monastery in Buryatia was allowed to continue functioning and educating monks, all others and all temples and stupas (monuments) were destroyed. And Kalmykia today is run by a strong-man who is a friend of Putin's. So whoever represented Buddhism in Russia at the drafting of the statement on gay marriage, etc., can be assumed to be aligned with the federal gov't, and Putin.

And let's not make any assumptions about "Tibetan traditional values", haha! You might want to read Tashi Tsering's autobiography, "The Struggle For Modern Tibet" to get a better idea of Tibetan traditional values. ;)

The Russian Orthodox Church is also aligned with the State. "The more things change, the more they stay the same" is a good axiom to go by when looking at pre- and post-Soviet Russia, in some respects.