PDA

View Full Version : In Pain? Try meditation

Aloka
06 Apr 11, 08:29
I found this article:

'In pain? Try meditation'

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/05/meditation.reduce.pain/index.html?eref=rss_health&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_health+%28RSS%3A+He alth%29

Any comments relating to the contents of the article?

Glow
06 Apr 11, 18:23
It was a strange coincidence that I read the article the other day as well just as I was rereading my copy of Jon Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living. It's odd that there's no mention of his work in the article. He did much of the foundational research and writing on meditation in hospital settings twenty years ago when he began his Mindfulness-Based Stress-Reduction program. In his book, he describes how meditation helped people referred to the "stress clinic" suffering from things like heart disease, AIDS, anxiety and depression (for which he'd later work on Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy... which is essentially the same program as MBSR built around the exact same meditations, just framed differently).

Of course, the Buddha knew this 2,500 years ago:

The Blessed One said, "When touched with a feeling of pain, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats his breast, becomes distraught. So he feels two pains, physical & mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, were to shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pains of two arrows; in the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats his breast, becomes distraught. So he feels two pains, physical & mental...

"Now, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones, when touched with a feeling of pain, does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. So he feels one pain: physical, but not mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, did not shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pain of only one arrow. In the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. He feels one pain: physical, but not mental.
Source: Sallatha Sutta - The Arrow (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html)