PDA

View Full Version : There’s a misogynist aspect of Buddhism ....

Aloka
27 Aug 17, 08:30
I came across this article by accident while looking for something else - and thought I'd post it here.

There’s a misogynist aspect of Buddhism that nobody talks about

https://qz.com/586192/theres-a-misogynist-aspect-of-buddhism-that-nobody-talks-about/

Excerpt:

The complete silence on the subject of misogyny so firmly entrenched in the Buddhist scriptures, and traced to the Buddha, is quite remarkable.

Comments welcome if you've read the whole article.(which isn't very long).

:hands:

nigele2
27 Aug 17, 09:26
Comments welcome if you've read the whole article.(which isn't very long).

:hands:

Everything to its time I think. And the fact someone found the misogyny embarrasing can surely only be a good thing. "It is almost as if the scholars are irritated, even embarrassed, that the facts interfere with contemporary perceptions of the Buddha".

In my early days I read somewhere that Buddha said that we must revisit and reassess as time moves forward. Hope I didn't dream that. So we decide women are not too bad after all and move on ;D

But thanks Aloka I learnt a bit more :up2:

Aloka
27 Aug 17, 13:25
I think its worth noting that the author of the article - Devdutt Pattaniak is described as an "author, mythologist. and leadership consultant" and I didn't see any mention of him being a Buddhist himself.

Also, there wasn't a "Hinduism" at the time of the Buddha, that came later. The main religious and cultural system during the Buddha's lifetime is known as "Brahmanism".