PDA

View Full Version : I'm Brand New Here

Enigma
09 Mar 11, 05:45
Greetings folks, I would like state for the record, that I'm brand new here and am a struggling Buddhist. For the most part I feel that it would be safe to say, that not only am I brand new to these forums, but seeing I've only been practicing Zen styled Buddhism for about a year and half, I feel it safe to say I'm kind of new at this whole thing in general.

As some may get to know me, they will realize why I used the word "struggling" inside this post. For about the past year and a half, I've enjoyed reading good books that have helped me dearly in regards to perusing my beliefs in the art of Zen. But books and on-line materials can only take me so far. I feel it is time for me to get my nose out of the materials and start hanging out and talking to people who practice.

I will be boldly honest with everyone here, yes I've read some good books, yes I've done a little studying on-line about Buddhism. But I feel like I've barely put my foot on the path, I come to you all being honest and true that for all the little things I've done to this point, I come to you all basically knowing "nothing"!

So as I said I'm brand new here and very eager to meet people and maybe start learning a thing or two.

"Thank you for your time here folks"

Aloka
09 Mar 11, 05:56
Hi Enigma and welcome !

Great to hear from you - and thanks for telling us something about yourself.

Please feel free to ask the group questions in the Beginners Forum, if you have any, and also to join in the discussions.

with kind wishes,

Aloka-D

Esho
09 Mar 11, 14:10
Hi Enigma, Welcome to the Forum!

I practice zazen, the meditative system of the Soto Zen tradition. I attend once a week the dojo to practice meditation in group and it has been a great experience. Here I have learned about other traditions and there is some people that practice Theravada which I have found it shares the way of Zen. Also here are Tibetan followers and independent practitioners. So, take your time with us and share.

;D

fletcher
09 Mar 11, 16:14
Welcome Enigma its great to have brand new folk on board. :-)

millyone
09 Mar 11, 19:36
Enigma

Welcome - glad you have joined. Don't worry, there are other newcomers on here, me included. I am also someone who reads a lot about buddhism and tries to meditate but am really just on the edge of it like you.

So don't be nervous, just join in whichever discussions you feel comfortable with.

I hope you enjoy it on here.

fojiao2
09 Mar 11, 19:57
I come to you all basically knowing "nothing"!

"Thank you for your time here folks"

--That is an awesome accomplishment--usually takes years ! Since you like Zen, you might appreciate the importance of knowing nothing by reading "Only Don't Know: Selected Teaching Letters of Zen Master Seung Sahn"

Enigma
09 Mar 11, 21:01
--That is an awesome accomplishment--usually takes years ! Since you like Zen, you might appreciate the importance of knowing nothing by reading "Only Don't Know: Selected Teaching Letters of Zen Master Seung Sahn"

Thank you for the recommendation of a new book for me to read. I will have to write this one down, and my next time at Boarders I will have to look this one up and buy it. And trust me, the realization of me being able to honestly admit that I know "nothing" didn't come over night. The concept of nothingness hit me like a 2x4 across the face. One day after finishing the book "An Introduction To Zen Buddhism : By D.T. Suzuki", it hit me, everything I thought I knew, everything that I thought I know has been blown out of the water, my reality altered, and after the wake of realization I was just sitting there knowing basically nothing!

Esho
09 Mar 11, 22:37
Hi Enigma,

I highly recommend you "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones" by Paul Reps. It has four sections. The first three are about Zen. Stories, Koans and the Ten Bulls. The important thing is that there is not a personal or particular interpretation but brings you into wisdom alone. The Ten Bulls are the very Zen way of mindfulness.

fojiao2
10 Mar 11, 00:06
Borders/ You'd better hurry--they are going out of business! But if i run across a copy somewhere I'll grab it and contact you. "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones" is GREAT. I have had a copy for years and never get tired of reading it. Also,"The Zen Teachings of Bodhidharma" translated by Red Pine

Esho
10 Mar 11, 00:20
Also,"The Zen Teachings of Bodhidharma" translated by Red Pine

Sure! The purest absolute wisdom. ;)

The Texas Buddha
10 Mar 11, 00:26
Welcome friend! Its glad to have you hear i myself am also a new comer and also no absolutely nothing!:)

Enigma
13 Mar 11, 07:53
Welcome friend! Its glad to have you hear i myself am also a new comer and also no absolutely nothing!:)

Well with both of us, we appear to be in the right place! Maybe here we can at least start getting on the path of learning something, rather than kind of knowing nothing. Plus with all the great recommendation of books, I look forward in reading some new material, might go broke buying it all, but it all should be a good read all the same. And welcome Texas Buddha, glad to make your acquaintance!