PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Dave and Rissho Kosei Kai

dsaly1969
05 Mar 11, 17:23
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to put up a short introduction. My name is Dave and I live in Tehachapi, California. I am a member of Rissho Kosei-kai which is a Lotus Sutra based Buddhist organization which originated in Japan.

Rissho Kosei-kai (RKK) promotes what they call "Ekayana Buddhism" or One-Vehicle Buddhism. In RKK (which is very involved in interfaith activities), we respect all spiritual traditions and acknowledge them as tactful methods to achieve Enlightenment. RKK views all Buddhists as part of the Larger Sangha.

Ekayana in the context of the Lotus Sutra, is the recognition of the three vehicles (sravaka, pratyekabuddha, bodhisattva) as truly all being “One Vehicle” on the path to Enlightenment. This is both a very unifying viewpoint and a reinforcement of the importance of appropriate teaching methods for the variety of practitioners we find in the world.

In regard to this One Buddha Vehicle, Nikkyo Niwano (the founder of RKK) wrote, “All teachings lead all beings to the state of Buddha. It may seem like there are two or three different teachings, but they are all because of the Buddha’s appropriate means to guide people according to their level of understanding. But in truth, there is only one.”

RKK focuses on teaching core Buddhist concepts (the 4 Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the 3 Marks of Existence, etc.) combined with the wisdom of the Lotus Sutra. This emphasis makes RKK act somewhat as a bridge between the Theravada and Mahayana traditions. In terms of practice involving core Buddhist concepts, RKK promotes the practice of hoza (circle of compassion) in which we learn to see Universal Truth at work within the struggles of our daily lives. In a group setting, we share our daily travails and try to interpret them through such things as the 4 Noble Truths. It gives us the opportunity to practice applying the Buddha Dharma in a practical and concrete manner applicable to everyday life, along with the support of the Sangha. Our primary individual practice is the recitation of the portions of various chapters of the Lotus Sutra (in our native language) and Daimoku. Many of us also practice a form of sitting meditation such as Vipassana.

BTW, it is a very inclusive group and even welcomes me (who tends to interpret Buddhist teachings through a more naturalistic lens).

Gassho!

Aloka
05 Mar 11, 17:29
Hi Dave and welcome to the group ! We have members from various different traditions and I hope you'll enjoy the discussions.

Kind wishes,

Aloka-D ;D

srivijaya
05 Mar 11, 20:41
Welcome Dave. Thanks for the intro. Glad to have you on board.
Namaste
Kris

Esho
06 Mar 11, 04:23
Hi Dave,

Welcome to BWB... thanks for shearing!

;D