PDA

View Full Version : Lotus86 - advice needed.

Lotus86
06 Apr 17, 13:49
Hi everyone after meditating for two weeks I was in experienceing perfect stillness which carried through to my life. My thoughts were clear. It was an extraordinary feeling and I find it hard to find words to describe how I good felt. Soon after when I meditated I started to experience shakes in my kneck and shoulders with my stomach flinching. This can be painful and very off putting. Can anyone give me any advise as to how I could control this and how I could get this good feeling back. It would also be interesting to know what stage of meditation you would consider this to be and where I go from here

Aloka
06 Apr 17, 16:12
Could you tell us which meditation method you were using, please, Lotus86? Also, did you get personal instructions from anyone, or did you read it on the internet or in a book?

Lotus86
06 Apr 17, 16:32
I read a book called the Tibetan book of meditation

Aloka
06 Apr 17, 17:42
Can you say who wrote the book, please - and give some details about the actual meditation method that you practice ?

Element
06 Apr 17, 19:49
Hi everyone after meditating for two weeks I was in experienceing perfect stillness which carried through to my life. My thoughts were clear. It was an extraordinary feeling and I find it hard to find words to describe how I good felt. Soon after when I meditated I started to experience shakes in my kneck and shoulders with my stomach flinching. This can be painful and very off putting. Can anyone give me any advise as to how I could control this and how I could get this good feeling back. It would also be interesting to know what stage of meditation you would consider this to be and where I go from here

Hello Lotus86

Buddhist meditation has one primary practise, which is non-craving & non-attachment; the development of equanimity. Whatever occurs in meditation should ideally be observed with equanimity, non-attachment, understanding (wisdom) & patience, until it subsides & passes.

The life of a person has accumulated 'kamma' (emotions) plus in-born mental (emotional) tendencies. When a person meditates, these 'emotions' come to the surface of consciousness (awareness), particularly as the conscious mind becomes more still. A primary purpose of meditation is the calming of such emotions; particularly merely through the method of observation & equanimity.

Shakes in the neck & shoulders sounds like stress & tension arising; as does flinching in the stomach sound like old stress & emotions. You should 'soften' your awareness around these tensions. You should ensure you meditate with calmness; without exerting forced effort or forced breathing techniques.

Ideally, a beginner should learn Buddhist meditation with a meditation group at a competent Buddhist centre.

Your stage of meditation is beginners stage because your mind is attaching & obsessing with phenomena rather than observing with equanimity & non-attachment.

Aloka
06 Apr 17, 20:06
There are some Buddhist meditation resources in this thread in our Study Links section which you might like to browse - but as Element has already said, its better to learn to meditate with a Buddhist group and a meditation teacher.

https://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/showthread.php?356-Buddhist-Meditation

:hands:

Lotus86
06 Apr 17, 20:25
I'm actually going to a retreat but really iv seen my own death and I know exactly wot to do with my life e.g. Emptiness there's no form to all composed things and I can see my mind writing the words on this page beyond the senses

Lotus86
06 Apr 17, 20:34
I was just asking for suggestions maybe this is a dark time for the dharma enlightenment is so close to all those who want to rest at the shores of nirvana

Aloka
06 Apr 17, 20:47
If the Tibetan Book of Meditation you read is by "Lama" Christine McNally, I would definately avoid it. I very much doubt she was made a Lama by someone in authority in a genuine Tibetan Buddhist lineage.

She was involved in a scandal a few years ago with two men called Michael Roach and Ian Thorson.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/sex-and-death-on-the-road-to-nirvana-20130606

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Roach

Element
06 Apr 17, 21:08
I'm actually going to a retreat but really iv seen my own death and I know exactly wot to do with my life e.g. Emptiness there's no form to all composed things and I can see my mind writing the words on this page beyond the senses

The symptoms of emotion arising in meditation are ideally viewed in the same manner.

I was just asking for suggestions maybe this is a dark time for the dharma enlightenment is so close to all those who want to rest at the shores of nirvana

This is a good time for enlightenment. If the Dhamma teachings are available in the world, it is a good time for enlightenment.

With metta

Lotus86
06 Apr 17, 22:06
I'm emanating from the Buddha I can on only preach the lesser vehicle because of the faculties possessed by this illusiusory world of beings we can all rest from our journey in a great heavenly city there are shades of green everywhere and angels are playing games rolling dice on the floor and one is playing a harp that is all that exists here i am like the great magician creating this illusion of nirvana rest here and find the true dharma and escape karma by becoming an angel being of light your journeys so close and listen to the emanation ov the next Buddha the greater vehicle the lotus sutra

Aloka
06 Apr 17, 22:24
..... the greater vehicle the lotus sutra

Interestingly, Ajahn Sujato (a well-known and respected Theravada monk) wrote:

Is the Lotus Sutra authentic?

One of our commenters asked about whether the Lotus Sutra was considered authentic according to the Theravadin view.

To answer this from the traditional Theravadin point of view, all the Mahayana Sutras are inauthentic in the sense that they were not spoken by the Buddha. Historically, Theravada has tended to take a dim view of Mahayana, regarding it as a mere degeneration of the pure teachings.

That the Lotus Sutra and other Mahayana Sutras were not spoken by the Buddha is unanimously supported by modern scholarship.

Continued at the link: https://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/is-the-lotus-sutra-authentic/

:fsm: