PDA

View Full Version : what goes around comes around.

shep83
06 Jul 16, 18:07
So somebody who has caused me alot of mental anguish in my life finally got what was coming to her today, I know as a Buddhist that I'm supposed to show compassion even for those who do me wrong but I cant help feeling relief I think that this person has finally got what's coming to them, dose this make me an awful person?

Aloka
07 Jul 16, 08:13
So somebody who has caused me alot of mental anguish in my life finally got what was coming to her today, I know as a Buddhist that I'm supposed to show compassion even for those who do me wrong but I cant help feeling relief I think that this person has finally got what's coming to them, dose this make me an awful person?

Hi shep83,

Perhaps this excerpt from the first chapter of the Dhammapada might be worth consideration, especially number 6:

1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts, suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts, happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

6. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.01.budd.html

Otherwise I'd suggest doing daily Metta practice, as mentioned previously in this topic:

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/showthread.php?6427-my-path-to-Buddhism

:hands:

cosmic4z
07 Jul 16, 23:32

I'd think, any feelings of ill will, you harbour towards another person, are only hurting one person (hint: it's not them). It's in everyone's best interests to bring more love and compassion to the world.

Why do you think she wanted to cause you anguish? How well did you know this person?

shep83
08 Jul 16, 22:08
She is my boss, and she makes my life hard because that is her job, and I believe she has some deep rooted emotional problem with men in general, not that I'm an expert or anything but I'm pretty perspective if had to guess I would suggest she's probably been hurt badly by men in the past and so she has built up this wall of hostility to keep men at a distance, I have tried to be compassionate towards her, I've even tried to spread some of my own posivive energy around the work place in the hope that some of it might rub off on her but I am beginning to think she is a lost cause, that aside I will continue to do the right thing and be the best person can and hope one day she sees the error of her ways.

cosmic4z
09 Jul 16, 00:33
I'm carrying around with me, a lifetime of memories, good and bad experiences, that make me who I am. So is everyone else. I'm not convinced that anyone intentionally wants to bring hurt and chaos in to the world, or visit it upon other people. I think, sure, people strike out, out of frustration, because in some ways, they're hurting themselves, and they don't have the tools to appropriately process their own hurt, or to access a deeper, more loving and at peace core of their own being.

There's someone I'm thinking of, in my own life; on the surface, he seems a complete arse. He drinks a lot (to be honest, he's pretty much an alcoholic), and causes all kind of chaos, and very often is saying negative things about/to the people around him; he's always saying things from a sense of lack (of his own self-esteem) and trying to get other people to validate him. I know it's hard to interact with some people, in a way that is positive for all concerned. I wish I had sage advice for you, but I don't, and I know it's something I could do with handling better myself.

Maybe you'll find something of value in the following video clip, feel free to fast forward to the 16:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_ClddVgJs

Best of luck with it. :)

Aloka
09 Jul 16, 04:56
Maybe you'll find something of value in the following video clip

Hi cosmic4z,

I'd like to point out that that the person in the video known as Adyashanti (Steven Gray) is a 54 year old American "spiritual teacher" who claims to be enlightened. The advice he gives has been compared to Advaita Vedanta which is a school of Hindu philosophy and religious practice.

There are other similar people in the USA who claim to have special realisation and appear on TV chat shows from time to time, talking in a persuasive flowery way about "enlightenment."

To follow (or be recommended) them could be confusing for beginners investigating the Dhamma of the historical Buddha.

:hands:

cosmic4z
09 Jul 16, 13:03
Thank you Aloka.

Sure, I imagine a lot of people claim to be enlightened. For me, I wouldn't "follow" them, or anyone else for that matter. I do like to consider and reflect upon (in the light of my own experience and understanding) the merit of what people say. I'd hate to blindly accept everything someone I considered enlightened says as having merit; and on the flip-side, to blindly reject everything someone I considered disreputable says, as having no merit at all.

I've seen a few of his videos, and I've not seen him claim to be enlightened, or found them confusing. Maybe I'm missing something?

Aloka
09 Jul 16, 13:48
I've not seen him claim to be enlightened

Hello again cosmic4z,

Perhaps you haven't seen this: "Adyashanti Enlightenment Story."

http://enlightened-people.com/adyashanti-enlightenment-story/

The same website has a list of other "enlightened people" which includes the Buddha and a number of legendary names such as Mahavira, Moses, Mohammed, Jesus, various ancient Greek philosophers & early Tibetan Buddhist 'yogis', and amongst others, several people I've never heard of, and also Gurjieff, Krishnamurti, Osho and Eckhart Tolle...:bunny:

Anyway, bearing in mind this is Buddhist website and not a comparative spirituality forum - :topic: