PDA

View Full Version : Forum changes coming on Saturday 26th February

woodscooter
24 Feb 11, 08:36
Dear friends,

We will be changing the forum software to vBulletin on Saturday 26th February at 10am UK time.

This means that the forum will be closed for about two hours and you will not be able to log in until the changeover is complete.

Once the change is done, you will need to use your password on your first visit, and if you have any short-cut or link to BWB on your computer, it would be best to delete it and store a new one.

Overall, the appearance of the new forum will be similar to the way it is now. We shall be copying all the existing forums, topics and posts to the new software, but we can't bring your individual avatar. It will be necessary to re-select your avatar, or upload it again.

Inevitably there will be some small differences in the way the forum operates. We hope you will soon get used to it. vBulletin is a very reliable and solid basis for a forum and we do not expect to move away from it in the future.

As always, if I can give you any assistance, email me at woodscooter@buddhismwithoutboundaries.com or start a topic in the Technical Help forum.

Woodscooter.

Aloka
24 Feb 11, 17:13
Thanks very much, Woodscooter. :hands:

srivijaya
24 Feb 11, 19:47
Thanks Woodscooter.

woodscooter
25 Feb 11, 16:19
You're welcome

Esho
25 Feb 11, 16:54
and if you have any short-cut or link to BWB on your computer, it would be best to delete it and store a new one.

Hi Woodscooter!

Thanks, just a question... Does the internet page will have the same adress as www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com (http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com) ?

woodscooter
25 Feb 11, 17:12
Yes and no.

There will be a link from www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/ (http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/) to the new forum, just as there is now a link to this forum.

But the direct address of the new forum is

www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/forum.php (http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/forum.php)

Does that answer your question?

Oh, also, the address www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/index.php (http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/index.php) will always take you to the forum, both before and after the changeover.

Esho
25 Feb 11, 17:17
Does that answer your question?

Yes Woodscooter, thanks again!

;D

pcwells
25 Feb 11, 19:02
Is change really necessary?

<runs, hides, giggles, and congratulates self on a wonderful sense of irony>

;)

woodscooter
25 Feb 11, 19:52
Thank you for drawing our attention to the nature of Impermanence. That's something we can never escape, even here in the reflective fields of Buddhismwithoutboundaries.

The new forum software, vBulletin, has a deserved reputation for reliability and stability. We expect it will give consistently good performance with the range of different browsers that are used these days, including the small-screen browsers used in mobile phones and the like.

In order to show the greatest respect for those among us who are irritated by changes, we are retaining the same colours, layout, smilies and avatars as the former forum. So if you don't pay attention, you may not notice anything has changed at all.

Aloka
26 Feb 11, 05:42
The change-over will be starting in just over 3 hours time. Posting here can still take place up until then. ;D

Snowmelt
26 Feb 11, 08:29
Thanks for all your work, WS; I think I have some idea how much work you put in here: a lot.

pcwells
26 Feb 11, 16:54
Nice work! :)

woodscooter
26 Feb 11, 18:01
Well, we got there.

It took longer than I had anticipated, and even now there may be the odd wrinkle to iron out.

I hope there are no gripes about changing software. If there are , I'll happily answer them all in the Technical Help forum, 'cos that's the place to take them.

We have tried to keep the overall look and feel the same. You will soon get used to the small differences.

One feature we have lost is this: You can't select part of a post and quote it. Seems that you have to quote the whole thing.

There's nothing to stop you paring down the quote while composing your reply, though.

Just be careful to preserve the start-quote [ QUOTE=username ] and end-quote [ /QUOTE ] markers in your reply.

Sorry we lost all the avatars in the change-over. I'm hoping you good people will restore them to your profile, over time.

Woodscooter
Technical Administrator