PDA

View Full Version : Researchers use virtual-reality avatars to create 'out-of-body' experience

Aloka
18 Feb 11, 23:19
I found this in 'the Guardian'....

Researchers use virtual-reality avatars to create 'out-of-body' experience

Volunteers experienced the virtual bodies as if they were their own, with possible applications in computer games or to transport people digitally to other locations

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/feb/17/people-virtual-reality-avatars

Any comments?

frank
20 Feb 11, 06:09
Fantastic stuff,raises again the bigger question of how do we know reality. Imo we don't,...we blunder through what we call life,blinded by or own fears and stupidity.
It may not be 'Spiritual' but if it causes us to stop and ponder on 'reality' for a moment then it's an experiment worth doing.
"Beam me up Scotty"

plogsties
20 Feb 11, 14:01
"Beam me up Scotty"
To where?

Cloud
20 Feb 11, 22:04
What is reality except sights, sounds, smells, tastes, bodily sensations and thought? That's all we have to judge it by, and so really that's all our reality is. If we had more senses, I'm sure our complicated views about reality would be exponentially more complicated. ;)

Esho
21 Feb 11, 00:19
If we had more senses, I'm sure our complicated views about reality would be exponentially more complicated.

Sure... and its enough with what we have got...

;)

frank
24 Feb 11, 12:37
To where?
where ever,it's all mind made any way,maybe Second Life?

frank
24 Feb 11, 12:41
What is reality except .....and thought?
So what are the limits to thought?
Don't you have a sense of balance,direction,up/down...These may not appear terribly relevant these days but may have been a very long time ago.
What other sense can contributors think of??

srivijaya
24 Feb 11, 19:53
Reminds me of The Matrix.

daverupa
24 Feb 11, 20:22
What is reality except .....and thought?
So what are the limits to thought?
Don't you have a sense of balance,direction,up/down...These may not appear terribly relevant these days but may have been a very long time ago.
What other sense can contributors think of??

The sense of balance is one. There is also a sense of the carbon dioxide levels in the blood - this is the feeling you get after you hold your breath for a long time.

Cloud is still correct, however - these two 'senses' are subsumed under the dyad of form-body, despite having different neurological pathways from the sensations of heat, cold, and tactile pressure of that same dyad.

The sense of orientation in space you refer to comes by way of the inner ear, but I'm not going to call that a part of the sound-ear dyad. Form-body easily carries that weight, and in fact setting aside the modern understanding of neurological pathways whereby all of these senses can be differentiated, they feel as if they are part of the form-body dyad, which is all the Dhamma needs to assert.

frank
25 Feb 11, 11:55
Daverupa,let me see if l understand you correctly,l'm not saying that the sense of (for example) balance is a sense 'out there',that it is in some way separate for the body. I'm merely pointing out that there are more than just the 5/6 senses that we commonly recognise.
If as Cloud says,and he is most probably right to say " I'm sure our complicated views about reality would be exponentially more complicated." but this is just something we must live with.
It doesn't alter the point that we have atrophied senses,as we have (now) redundant bodily organs,(the pancress).
What l'm trying to say here is that the real world is bigger than we can think while we are stuck in the confines of societies.

plogsties
25 Feb 11, 13:05
sense of orientation in space you refer to comes by way of the inner ear
This is false - it is related primarily to the cerebellum via the deep propriocptive neural pathways(which are distinct from the sensory/motor pathways.

plogsties
25 Feb 11, 13:06
redundant bodily organs,(the pancress).
Try telling a type 1 diabetic that the pancreas is a "redundant" organ. Where does this sort of misinformation come from?

Esho
25 Feb 11, 17:02
I don't know why but my inability with "virtual reality2 has grown significantly since I practice meditation. I really do not find that fulfilling. The mere contemplation of a tree or a bird is very satisfying. Why the need of such things or ways of evading the here and now???

frank
25 Feb 11, 20:37
plogsties,sorry about that,just something l 'knew' from years ago

millyone
25 Feb 11, 22:50
I read about this research in the newspaper. It is absolutely fascinating.

daverupa
01 Mar 11, 06:36
I simply wished to reinforce the idea that beyond the six senses and their objects, the Dhamma has nothing to say, and further that while these six senses don't necessarily map to ontological reality they nevertheless form a complete epistemological model of all human experience.