PDA

View Full Version : New member

EinsteinsGhost
28 Jan 11, 12:57
Hi everyone,

Just joined this site after I stumbled across it on a 'messageboard' on the BBC's Religion website, specifically the one for Eastern Religions. I Have lots of questions but will save them for the moment. Just a few quick words about myself (See how unenlightened I am? 'My-Self'!!) I am 49, born and bred in Staffordshire, and raised as a Catholic. I was even sent to a Catholic Seminary (Willingly) aged 11 to start the path to joining the priesthood. It didn't last long. Moved to London in 1986 and lived there for over 22 years. Spent 8 years in West-End Theatre. Finally moved to the Isle of Wight in June 2009 with my partner for a new and more sedate way of life. As for spirituality, I would describe myself now as a born-again atheist. Although I stopped being a practising Catholic many years ago, I have spent so many years since 'chasing' god and being pulled back by Christianity. That is until, not longer after moving here I had a sort of 'epiphany' and realised that god/Christianity wasn't chasing me. I was chasing it and finding nothing and causing myself untold despair in the process. I first came across Buddhist teachings some years ago in 1998 from a very basic book giving an introduction on the subject.
When I first read it, it almost felt like 'coming home'. I had just split up from my, then wife, and was in bad shape emotionally. Buddhism made some sense for once. Despite that, I still spent many more years chasing. Having finally given up the chase, I feel ALMOST ready to take my first tentative steps on the Buddhist path. I hope I can find some inspiration here, although I do know I must find my own way in the end.

Sorry for the long waffle!

EG

Aloka
28 Jan 11, 13:17
Hi EG,

Thank you for telling us about yourself and welcome, its lovely to hear from you.

Our members are from all around the world here and I hope you will enjoy the discussions and ask us questions if you have any.

With kind wishes,

Dazzle-Aloka :hands:

Esho
28 Jan 11, 13:24
(See how unenlightened I am? 'My-Self'!!)

:P

Wellcome here EinsteinsGhost!

Why do you have that nick name? Just curious.

;)

EinsteinsGhost
28 Jan 11, 13:31
Thanks to both of you.

As for the EinsteinsGhost Username,,

I am very interested in Science and in particular Quantum Physics, Astronomy etc. (But very much as a layman!)
Einstein in one my personal heroes and the Ghost part is just pretension on my part because I would love to think I was him in a past life (I hasten to add I DON'T believe that)

EG

srivijaya
28 Jan 11, 13:52
Welcome on board EG. I hope we can assist your journey in some small way. There's a range of material here and diverse opinions but if you rummage around a bit there may be the odd gem or two.

Esho
28 Jan 11, 14:06
I am very interested in Science and in particular Quantum Physics, Astronomy etc. (But very much as a layman!)

Thanks EG!

I used to be a great Quantum Physics fan too...!

My personal hero is Neils Bohr and many other good guys like Fermi, Pauli, Chamberline, Gell-Mann, Weinberg, Feynman, etc... I like more the practical aproach than the theoretical one.

;)

millyone
28 Jan 11, 14:12
Hi Einsteinsghost,

Hello to you. I am a newcomer too, only joined last week! I hope you enjoy it on here.

EinsteinsGhost
28 Jan 11, 15:14
Thanks Millyone. I have already read some of your posts.

And, Kaarine, Wow! My username on YouTube is Mr NeilsBohr. Somebody there had already taken EinsteinsGhost!

:hands:

Snowmelt
28 Jan 11, 17:36
Hi, Ghost. ;D Your varying relationship with Christianity reminds me that impermanence is found everywhere we look. Why then, I ask myself, should devotion to the Buddhadhamma be any different? Because, I think, the goal of the Dhamma is the absence of relationship.

EinsteinsGhost
28 Jan 11, 17:48
I'm not looking for any 'relationship' or 'devotion'. Just a path that suits me better than others. I'm only just starting on this path. What I find/discover, I can't say yet. I'm certainly not swapping one old suit (Christianity) for what I hope in a newer trendier look,

Snowmelt
28 Jan 11, 18:14
May you be well and happy.

Esho
28 Jan 11, 22:19
Also I found Buddhism thorugh the quantum physics new age literature; specifically thorugh Fritjof Capra's "The Tao of Physics".

;)

millyone
29 Jan 11, 23:08
Just a path that suits me better than others.

Hi Ghost

May I call you Ghost for short?
Your reasons for exploring Buddhism sound very much like mine. I just want to know all about it, at my own pace, and see if its wisdoms resonate with me. So far I am bowled over by how much they do!

I asked my Sikh mum today about meditation. She says Sikh people don't do it. Apparently Sikhism says 'get out into the world and experience' as opposed to Buddhism of which it is such a central part.

I like meditating though and it seems logical and right that that is the best way to get to know our minds. I like the idea that it is a personal journey to discover the vast wisdom that is in each of us which needs to be unlocked and accessed.

Cobalt
30 Jan 11, 06:02
Good to meet you, EinsteinsGhost. I'm also of the skeptic variety, and have found this place to be very friendly and awesome to anybody interested in dharma practice, whether we're necessarily down with the supernatural stuff or not. I think you'll like it here (or at least I hope you do!) and hopefully I'll see you around.

lyndon john taylor
01 Apr 11, 19:26
hi im a newly redicated Tibetan Catholic-Buddhist in the sakyapa tradition, I call equally on Buddhist and Christian sources, but get much more inspiration from the buddha's teachings as I strongly believe they are more acurately recorded than the words of Jesus. I have been a monk for about 2 months in the Therevada and tibetan traditions of cambodia, a temple boy dressed in white and black silk clothes and lived of and on at mostly Therevada temples in southern california for 2-3 years,

i don't sit meditating as long as i should and think, just think I might be a reincarnated saint, bodhisattva, or tulku,"god" like my root Guru Sakya Dhezhung zRinpoche(manjushri tulku) who in our tibetan religion Sakya is above the Dalai Lama in importance. I have memories of past lives and even consider that I might be the emmanation of Shakyamuni Buddha for this age in this time, but I have a controllable type of manic depression called delusions of grandeur. or I am not crazy and i am a Buddha, you decide. sincerely Lyndon John Taylor("lama" pemasang Dhredhung )(avalokitesvara tulku???????????)

Aloka
01 Apr 11, 19:42
Hi Lyndon, welcome to the group !

Aloka
01 Apr 11, 20:14
i don't sit meditating as long as i should and think, just think I might be a reincarnated saint, bodhisattva, or tulku,"god" like my root Guru Sakya Dhezhung zRinpoche(manjushri tulku) who in our tibetan religion Sakya is above the Dalai Lama in importance. I have memories of past lives and even consider that I might be the emmanation of Shakyamuni Buddha for this age in this time, but I have a controllable type of manic depression called delusions of grandeur. or I am not crazy and i am a Buddha, you decide. sincerely Lyndon John Taylor("lama" pemasang Dhredhung )(avalokitesvara tulku???????????)

I think claims of this kind are irrelevant here, Lyndon.

srivijaya
01 Apr 11, 20:46
I might be the emmanation of Shakyamuni Buddha for this age in this time

You can't be mate, Simon Cowell is!

Welcome on board anyway.

fletcher
02 Apr 11, 05:36
Welcome Lyndon, although your claims are irrelevant here that has to be one of most fascinating new member introductions.

Esho
02 Apr 11, 16:32
Wellcome Lyndon to the BWB!

Even when I have found a little odd your posts, as Gary has told, reading them are really interesting.

:hug: