PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Lord Buddha

clw_uk
28 Mar 15, 00:53
Hi guys,

My grandad, who helped raise me, was buried today. I would just like to share how much the Dhamma has helped me, and how grateful I am to The Buddha for travelling that difficult road to the ancient city. That journey flung open the doors to the deathless, and without his discovery the world would be poorer. Without the Dhamma my mind would have been overcome with grief, yet with the Dhamma my mind was cool.

Truly he found the path to ultimate peace.

Aloka
28 Mar 15, 09:10
I'm sorry that your grandfather has passed away, Craig.Thank you so much for sharing your understanding and appreciation of the Dhamma with us.

Your post reminded me of something Ajahn Sumedho said:

Now one thing you can recognise is that when you have a body, you have to live with your body for a lifetime. And these bodies are conscious and sensitive forms. This is just the way it is, this is what being born means. Bodies grow up, then they start getting old, then there's old age, sicknesses, diseases - this is a part of our human experience - and then death. We have to accept the death and separation of loved ones. This happens to all of us. Most of us will see our parents die, or even our children, or spouse or friends, loved ones. Part of all human experience is the experience of being separated from the loved.

By knowing the way it is, then you find yourself quite capable of accepting life and not being depressed and bewildered by the way life happens to be. Once you understand it and you see it in the right way, then you're not going to create any wrong views about it. You're not going to add to it with fears, and desires, and bitterness, and resentments and blame. We have the ability to accept the way life happens to us as individual beings. Even though we're terribly sensitive, we're also tough survivors in this universe.
You look at where human beings manage to live, like Eskimos up in the Arctic and people in deserts. In the most uninviting places on this planet there's usually human habitation. When forced to, we can survive anywhere.

Understanding Dhamma then allows us also to have a fearless attitude. We begin to realise that we can accept whatever happens. There's really nothing to be afraid of. Then you can let go of life; you can follow it, because you're not expecting anything out of it, and you're not trying to control it. You have the wisdom, the mindfulness, the ability to roll with the flow, rather than to be drowned by the tidal waves of life.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books9/Ajahn_Sumedho_Consciousness_and_Sensitivity.htm

:candle: :candle: :candle:

E-mail me anytime if you want to have a chat.

With metta,

Aloka xx

clw_uk
28 Mar 15, 19:30
Thanks Aloka, that's a wonderful passage :)

woodscooter
29 Mar 15, 10:46
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Craig. I'm sure you will always have fond memories of your grandad, even though he himself has passed away.

-- Woodscooter.