PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

fletcher
28 Dec 14, 11:58
With so much terrible upsetting stuff going on in the world that we can do nothing about or change would it not be better to just avoid the News?
Especially as it appears that the media is full of lies and political propaganda?
Would it not cause us less suffering if we just concerned ourselves with stuff that directly affected us?

Trilaksana
28 Dec 14, 16:54
I don't think it's beneficial to watch news that is really just propaganda. However I think there are certain things happening in the world that we can and should do something about and we have to find out about it somehow. To me it seems there are news sources with valuable information but they're rare.

John Marder
28 Dec 14, 21:40
I think if there are terrible things going on with our fellow human beings we should know about it. Even if you don't feel you can do something about it ( that is if there is nothing practical you can or choose to do and you don't believe in prayer) then at least you know about it. It might help you to keep your own personal suffering in perspective or you may get an opportunity to discuss it with someone and you both learn something in the process.

Aloka
29 Dec 14, 07:51
With so much terrible upsetting stuff going on in the world that we can do nothing about or change would it not be better to just avoid the News?
Especially as it appears that the media is full of lies and political propaganda?
Would it not cause us less suffering if we just concerned ourselves with stuff that directly affected us?

Hi Gary,

When we look at history,there have always been upsetting things happening in the world, its just we're made more aware of them in modern times. In today's world we can become quite vunerable to the constant bombardment of negative news of one kind or another in the press, on TV, on the internet news channels, social media sites & youtube.

There used to be a time when I was constantly in tears about news items which I could do nothing about personally.

These days, although I keep an eye on what's happening globally, I'm quite selective about my media choices in connection with daily news items, because even local weather predictions can become grossly exaggerated sometimes!

I think this quote from Thich Nhat Hahn's book "Being Peace" is worth thinking about:

“If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace.”

....and from Shantideva's "A guide to The Bodhisattvas Way of Life "

"Where would I possibly find enough leather
With which to cover the surface of the earth?
But (just) leather on the soles of my shoes
Is equivalent to covering the earth with it

Likewise it is not possible for me
To restrain the external course of things
But should I restrain this mind of mine
What would be the need to restrain all else."

:hands:

Aloka
29 Dec 14, 08:24
Additionally, these words from Ajahn Sumedho might be helpful in some way, :

We can use our thoughts — not in order to make decisions, or to take positions, but in order to bring into consciousness the way things are, the way of our own existence on planet Earth as human beings. Using thoughtful reflection helps us to be intuitive, to observe and to accept. If we don’t develop this ability, we end up making very harsh value judgements about ourselves and the world. This makes us insensitive and harsh, and we become unable to understand things. We get the feeling that there’s nothing we can do, and we feel depressed and helpless.

In the modern Western world, we seem to have developed to a very high level this ability to see what is wrong. And it’s turning against us. We are destroying ourselves. We are unable to enjoy our lives, or experience joy. From reading the newspapers, one gets the impression that it’s too late to do anything — we’ve gone too far! We hear the harsh, hissing sounds of despair, fear and anxiety. We may believe there’s something we should do — we should change something, we should get rid of something, we should create something new. Maybe we should have a revolution?

The spiritual path, on the other hand, is noticing and accepting the way it is, even if it isn’t very good. If one feels despair, one looks at this feeling. The feeling is seen as an object, as a mood of the mind, as something that arises in consciousness. And making a feeling into an object is the transcendence of it. There is no suppression or rejection of anything felt, there is no identifying, commenting, or making judgements on a personal level. One accepts — does not necessarily approve — but accepts the way one is feeling. And in that perspective, the spiritual path is developed.

Continued:

http://buddhismnow.com/2014/06/22/we-need-to-put-ourselves-into-perspective-by-ajahn-sumedho/

fletcher
29 Dec 14, 11:23
Thank you for your replies.

I think of the saying that 'ignorance is bliss' although that's not very practical in the world we live in and John is right about it putting our own suffering perspective. You don't need to look far to find someone worse off than yourself.

Any suggestions for reliable news sources?

With gratitude

Aloka
29 Dec 14, 13:04
You don't need to look far to find someone worse off than yourself.

Any suggestions for reliable news sources?

With gratitude

Yes there are usually always people worse off than oneself - and not forgetting the terrible suffering which can be experiences by animals too. I remember seeing a news item recently about a pet rabbit being found dragging itself about with its ears cut off completely with scissors, as well as other severe damage from being kicked.

As far as news sources are concerned -some newspapers here in the UK tend to have a definate political agenda favouring one party or another.

I occasionally buy the 30p newspaper with the big red i on the front left hand side & "The essential daily briefling" written underneath. Its a version of The Independent, & mostly just contains the main daily news items up front.

Other than that, I look at the BBC News website on the internet. I've more or less stopped watching the television news every day because I don't usually watch a lot of TV. I'd rather read a book instead.

Are they reliable news sources ? I don't really know, I just have to choose what I think might be reasonably reliable.

Trilaksana
29 Dec 14, 18:19
Since I live in the US I'm not very familiar with UK news sources. BBC News website seems to be alright. I like to watch democracy now but democracy is very US centric.

jonno
29 Dec 14, 19:18
Hi all. I understand the feeling of helplessness and the desire to do something, but if I am realistic there is little I can do about something that is happening in distant places. All I can do is to be mindful in my own life and within my own circle, and to treat all beings with love, respect , dignity and compassion in the knowledge that this will have a positive affect even beyond my own limited community. I also donate to causes in other country's which I hope will be of benefit. . Love Jonno.

Sea Turtle
07 Jan 15, 18:33
With so much terrible upsetting stuff going on in the world that we can do nothing about or change would it not be better to just avoid the News? Especially as it appears that the media is full of lies and political propaganda?

Perhaps this could also help:

A couple years ago while searching for positive news, I came across an Internet news network devoted to reporting positive stories from around the globe. Topics covered include outstanding acts of humanitarianism and kindness, innovative solutions to global problems, positive developments in medicine, animal welfare and conservation stories, and all manner of uplifting news. I went so far as to make it my homepage so that I would have regular contact with the goodness in the world that most often goes unreported. Maybe it would help to search out such a news outlet as an alternative.

Wishing you happiness and ease,
Helena

millyone
08 Jan 15, 15:05
Hi Fletcher,
this is exactly what I think these days. I used to listen to the news all the time, BBC News 24 would be on constantly. I found I was upset so much about things about which I could do nothing. Now I just watch once or twice a day, local and world news just to keep myself basically informed. Then I switch to more pleasant things, or go and do productive things. As a result I sleep better and feel better. It is important to keep yourself in a peaceful frame of mind, in order to have good health and be able to get on with your own life. The media are very alarmist about the tiniest things, everything is blown out of all proportion. Even the weather seems to be a source of frightening everyone! They act like we are all going to die just because snow or gales are on the way. Enough! I refuse to be listening to their nonsense.

fletcher
15 Jan 15, 21:40
Thank you everyone for your replies, let's look for positive news.

With gratitude

Gary