PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or am I getting older?

John Marder
20 Jul 14, 10:32
I've been practicing Buddhism in one form or another on a daily basis now for about 36 years and over that time, the pain that anguished me at the beginning has largely subsided. Just curiously I wonder, how much of that change has been my practice and how much has been me just getting older. Not that I will ever know,nor consider it really to matter, but I wondered if anyone also had any thoughts about that from their own experience:cool:

Snowmelt
20 Jul 14, 14:21
I've been practicing Buddhism in one form or another on a daily basis now for about 36 years and over that time, the pain that anguished me at the beginning has largely subsided. Just curiously I wonder, how much of that change has been my practice and how much has been me just getting older. Not that I will ever know, nor consider it really to matter, but I wondered if anyone also had any thoughts about that from their own experience:cool:

I have been asking myself precisely the same question for some time now. That is why I take an interest whenever I hear a news story about an older person behaving badly: it shows that age does not necessarily preclude folly.

Just being able to make some sense of the world helps me. Nothing makes sense of the world for me the way Buddhism does. If it was not for Buddhism, I am pretty sure I would have nowhere to turn when the suffering hits, which is the way it used to be for me. I would be far more confused, and in fact far more angry, than I am.

In many situations, Buddhism clearly intervenes between me and my old reactions: instead of falling headlong into suffering, for example, I find myself becoming mindful and it seems clear that this is because of Buddhism.

So, I am confident that Buddhism makes a difference ... though age may have its effects as well.

Snowmelt
21 Jul 14, 06:56
Here is something else I notice, as well: the poor reactions that I used to have to certain thoughts and feelings are still there, but now I find that the mindfulness I have learned through Buddhism intervenes before they are fully developed. So for instance, I remember some social faux pas from thirty years ago and start to feel humiliated. Then, mindfulness kicks in, and I find the feeling rapidly subsiding. It seems clear that Buddhism has made a difference in such a case.

John Marder
23 Jul 14, 08:28
Many many thanks Snowmelt. I can relate to all you have said. I suppose it's silly to try and view our Buddhist practice over time as something separate from the process of living and ageing because they are the same thing. I think for me, it's about how I have applied Buddhsim to the experience of my life that have enabled me to progress towards a more contented mind and a stronger feeling of belonging in the universe:hands:

eaglestare
11 Aug 14, 00:24
I am so glad to hear that suffering is easier to manage and diffuse because of your practice of mindfulness and Buddhism. Perhaps it's a little of both your practice, and experience (getting older)!

Patricia