PDA

View Full Version : I am new here... Wanting to learn about Buddhism

SpiritualGal02
29 Dec 10, 07:52
Hey everyone. I am new here. :) I am currently a Roman Catholic but I am interested in learning about Buddhism. I am not sure if I will ever leave Catholicism or not but I definitely consider myself to be open minded and so therefore I am open to learning about Buddhism and possibly even converting in the future. I have had doubts about Catholicism for a long time so I am kind of searching. As I said before, I don't know if I will ever leave Catholicism or not but I am open to the possibility. :)

That said, I am a 28 year old lady from Indiana of the United States of America. I am 5'1" and weigh 254 lbs. I am physically and emotionally/mentally disabled. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Major Depression. Those are both my diagnosed mental illnesses. I also suffer from a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. As far as the physical side of things goes, I primarily suffer from foot problems, nerve problems, Asthma, and Fibromyalgia.

I consider myself to be a little knowledgeable about the world's major religions. I have done research on various ones over the years and while I definitely don't know everything, I do think I know more than the average person about such things. But then again, when I say average person, I mean the average person without a college education.

I went to college for 2 semesters but did not graduate with a degree or certificate. I went for computer networking and gained some skills in how to protect a computer from viruses and how to do some basic upgrades to the hardware and such. I also know how to repair my own computer should something go wrong with it. I do sometimes need help from others though since I am no expert.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all in the future and I hope I can learn some more about Buddhism!

Aloka
29 Dec 10, 08:46
A warm welcome to the group SpiritualGirl02 !

Thank you for telling us about yourself. Its very nice to hear from you and I look forward to chatting with you too.

with kind wishes,

Dazzle ;D

Esho
29 Dec 10, 13:30
Wellcome here SpiritualGal02!

Hope you can find here what you are looking for. For sure you will meet very nice people eager to help and show you the wonderfull experience that Buddhism can give you.

:hug:

clw_uk
29 Dec 10, 18:35
Welcome ;D

srivijaya
29 Dec 10, 21:03
Welcome on board.

Cloud
29 Dec 10, 23:04
@SpiritualGal02: Welcome! I'd recommend http://www.buddhanet.net for study material on all forms of Buddhism. The Buddha's teachings can lead to true peace, but it does take some work!

Namaste

Snowmelt
29 Dec 10, 23:05
Welcome, Spirit.

My lady friend was raised as a Catholic, but turned against it with a vengeance. However, I think there is no need to abandon your religion in favour of Buddhism if it is going to be in any way a hardship for you to give it up. Buddhism is very liberal about such things. I share some of your problems - enough to understand how hard such things can make life. Buddhism has helped me with my issues - though the process has not happened overnight. My own university degree, though I did complete it in the end, lists 6 failures and 4 withdrawals. My major was in German language and literature, but I have worked as a computer tech for about 20 years. Seems we have a fair bit in common! Nice to meet you.