PDA

View Full Version : Need input

Dhyana Flynn
26 Mar 14, 23:50
Hi, I'm Dhyana.

I am recently unemployed. the decision was voluntary. I have been feeling overwhelmed and stressed out for several years (30 yeas in fact), and recently decided to take a break. My husbands income is enough to support us for the time being but I will need to look for a job some time in the next few months. I will be starting school in the fall. Now here's the problem...

I don't know who I am anymore. I haven't had the time to really think about it since I have always had a full time job, a disabled husband, and a child. I was always on the go. Now that I have all this time on my hands I have no idea what to do with myself. I like to read and knit, but those hobbies don't have the same effect that they used to. I fall asleep just a few minutes after I start reading anything, and knitting doesn't hold my attention anymore. I have no idea who I've become because I haven't had "me" time in over 12 years. I don't know what to do with myself. This is somewhat startling. Any advice??

Thanks!
Dhyana

Sea Turtle
27 Mar 14, 16:22
Hi Dhyana, (that's a pretty name!)

It's good to hear that you are taking what sounds like a very well-deserved break. I can imagine that the recent downtime you've been experiencing contrasts strikingly to the hustle-bustle of full-time work and caring for your family. It seems completely normal that you should be feeling a bit directionless. Perhaps some quiet time is in order, just to allow your body and mind to adjust to the new-found freedom in your daily schedule.

I wonder if it would be possible to give yourself wholehearted permission to do absolutely nothing for a time? You know, just let the dust settle? You might notice some clarity arising just by offering yourself the gift of some peace and quiet.

Do you have a quiet space in your home where you can just sit and be contemplative? A place set apart? A favorite tree or a natural place to retreat to?

Wishing you all the best in this transition time...

With kind thoughts,
Sea Turtle

:hands:

Trilaksana
28 Mar 14, 04:48
I agree with Sea Turtle but I have an additional suggestion; maybe you should try out something you always wanted to do but never had the time for. Do something creative/artistic maybe or study a new subject it could be anything really. Don't go overboard though give yourself this chance to take a break it sounds like you deserve it.

Rina
01 Apr 14, 20:21
Hi there Dhyana

I have heard something a while ago - a wonderful teacher talking, saying that one should not seek for one's discomfort or pain to pass too quickly, because it usualy is a lesson in there.The one thing one should not do however is to suffer in silence. The suffering should be honestly and openly shared.

Thank you for sharing your uncertainty with us.

Loving kindness.

Rina