PDA

View Full Version : Pump you up! (exercise)

chg2winter
27 Jan 14, 00:45
Part of me believes I should not be attached to my self image (due to impermanence)

But part of me is motivate to stay healthy and exercise by the self image, the reflection in the mirror.

Anyone else deal with this sort of balance issue?

BlueFaky
27 Jan 14, 19:18
Yes I think I can relate to some extent with this.
I'd love to be able not to worry about the way I look like (clothes), but I'm still careful about putting appropriate colors and tissues together.

I think that's because we aren't far enough on the way.

I remember some 25 years ago when my hair weren't combed right I would feel ashamed at the bus stop :) I'm happy to relate I sometimes shave my head with a lawn-mower to save money these days. It doesn't make me look good : my ears are sticking out lol

CatontheRoof
02 Feb 14, 21:30
In my humble opinion, considering all traps the ego can set for you, something as minimal as just caring for your looks is not foolish. Sure of course, as long as you're not spending a lot of time/money in drugs, surgery or such hehe.

Also, think of it as simply caring for your health. Doing exercise boosts your immune system and also protects your mental health ;)

suwapan
06 Feb 14, 15:12
Dear chg2winter,

Personally, I believe that your keeping healthy is perfectly alright. The question is why do you want be be healthy? longer life? avoid sickness? Do things that you want to do without health limitations? Avoid the burdens that your loved ones would have to do for you if you were sick? Sexual purposes?

I have been taught that the moment we are born, we have to look after both our mind and body. Initially, we have to rely on our parents. Later on, we can do that ourselves. As a Buddhist, being born is suffering. When we get hungry, we have to find food to eat and subdue that hunger (suffering) temporarily. When we become sick, we have to seek medication or a doctor's help to subdue that pain temporarily. When our house has a breakage, we have to repair it because we need a place to keep away from the cold, rain and heat and so on. And to do all these, we have to work to have enough money to "manage" our mind and body. But the Buddhist purpose to keep fit is to stay healthy so that we can learn, practice and , if possible, teach Buddhism as long as possible in our current lives. Because these good deeds (Kusala karma) will be remembered in your mind as you travel through countless lives ahead. My teachers always tell us that these Buddhism-related good deeds will act as your shield on your travels, shielding from committing bad deeds (Akusala karma), keeping you away from the opportunities to commit bad deeds, and lessen the effect of Akusala Vipaka (consequence of bad deed) when it hits you.

For your worries of self-image: As lay persons, we still have greed/craving to look good. So what. You and I, we still have very little wisdom, especially not enough to understand what the Buddha teaches in depth. We are just touching the mere surface. So don't try to apply what you read to situations so readily. The Buddha;s teaching is complex. Learn ad practice Abhidhamma slowly but consistently. Talk to "knowing" people. The more wisdom you have , the easier for you to identify them from the rest. Accumulate your wisdom, don't try to short cut and try to jump ahead too far. Looking good doesn't hurt anyone. On the contrary, people around will most likely enjoy looking at you and welcome you.

Best of luck.

Aloka
06 Feb 14, 23:19
Part of me believes I should not be attached to my self image (due to impermanence)

But part of me is motivate to stay healthy and exercise by the self image, the reflection in the mirror.

Anyone else deal with this sort of balance issue?

I guess most of us get attached to our appearance at some time or another, (probably why so many people seem to obsessed with taking "selfie" photos) so its good that you recognise that there's impermanence and that appearances change.

I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting to be fit and healthy and doing regular exercise though.

;D

Esho
13 Feb 14, 02:14
I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting to be fit and healthy and doing regular exercise though.

;D

Yes, there is nothing wrong with that. I practice with the bike at home. I have discovered that helps to have a more smooth and pleasant meditation. Don't know why.