PDA

View Full Version : A Joyful Life

Aloka
19 Nov 13, 20:38
Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo talking about "A Joyful Life " (Part 1, lasts for 29 minutes)

Any comments about what she has to say in the video are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PuhfOhqaeE

John Marder
24 Jan 14, 01:56
Thanks Aloka. I did enjoy listening to that.... Would have liked to hear her finish talking about the 8 consciousnesses and find out better were she was getting to with that. I'll check out Part 2 soon as I can

Was generally with her on her ideas of seeing 4 noble truths and the 'self' in a realistic but positive and constructive light. I lost the thread with the doctrinal stuff from the Upanishads re Brahmanism and Attman but then, being a man of the world and all that, I was trying to do someing else I had to do at the same time.

Just BTW I noticed some doctrinal/ theoretical differences with my own tradition; we 'subscribe'to 9 consciousnesses ( not 8 ) but they include exactly those 8.

Also, in her opening piece she was talking of how the Buddha became enlightened for the first time under that tree in India 2500 years ago. An essential point in Nichiren Buddhism is that in the lifespan chapter of the lotus sutra. It posits he attained enlightenment long ago in the beginningless past.

But not really looking for differences; I felt she is sincere in trying to see things as they really are and communicated that well.

John Marder
24 Jan 14, 15:45
Listened to the next bit. Completely accords with the views I hold re the relationship between daily life and Our Buddhist practice and though that relationship we can live joyful lives. Also, similarly I suppose, her thoughts On 'the ego can be good if tamed' are completely familiar to me..... Does raise the question of what is the self that is doing the taming but I see that as an intellectual question; interesting but not particularly useful. I was also also very interested to hear her say that that we have all always been Buddhas. That is the essential meaning of the lifespan chapter of the Lotus Sutra that is so important in my tradition.
One thing that I will give further consideration to is the idea that the Bodhisattva vow is somehow flawed.... Didn't quite get that but thinkin she is saying that ultimately there is not a self to make that vow.
I also would like to more about the significance of arhatship in Thervada and the 8 th stage of Bodhisttva in Mahayana in relation to self/ not self