PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist centres in Sydney

Element
29 Oct 13, 11:44
You're welcome Arturia. I am originally from Sydney, so if you need to ask anything, just ask or message me. Regards :peace:

Arturia
29 Oct 13, 21:59
You're welcome Arturia. I am originally from Sydney, so if you need to ask anything, just ask or message me. Regards :peace:

Hi Element, Was wondering if you might know of any centres that teach Theravada tradition on the north side of Sydney? I found a place in Artarmon that teaches Sakya Tibetan but the only one I have found for Theravada is all the way out near Blacktown which is too far. Its a bit daunting all these different types. Not sure what to make of them all.

Arturia
30 Oct 13, 00:58
The closest buddhist centre to where I live in Sydney Australia is The Kyegu buddhist Institute. Its a tibetan buddhist centre practicing the sayka tradition.

Im a bit daunted by all the different types. Is there much of a difference between them really? Ive been reading a bit online but I cant find any info regarding major differences.

One thing that is important to me is that they are accepting of all people regardless of sexual orientation and gender. I don't want anything to do with any religion/group etc that preaches anything about peoples sex lives. As far as Im concerned thats nobodies business as long as its consensual and no-one is harmed in the process. I also don't want to be part of an organisation that treats men and women differently.

As far as I am aware though, there is no form of Buddhism that preaches an anti gay agenda.

I was first drawn to the Theravada tradition after doing the online quiz "which kind of buddhist are you?" :biglol:
But then I found out they are way too far for me to travel to as Sydney takes forever to get anywhere at the best of times because of traffic etc.

Is Sakya much different? I have started reading about the 4 noble truths. Do they all study these?

Aloka
30 Oct 13, 01:17
I have started reading about the 4 noble truths. Do they all study these?

Hi Arturia,

I used to be a Vajrayana (Tibetan Buddhist) practitioner before changing to the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition and in my experience the two traditions are very different. I didn't hear anything about the Four Noble Truths for quite some time after I'd become involved with TB, and then only briefly.

With kind regards,

Aloka ;D

Arturia
30 Oct 13, 01:24
Is Sakya part of Vajrayana?

Aloka
30 Oct 13, 01:29
Is Sakya part of Vajrayana?

Yes and its one of the 4 main schools of Tibetan Buddhism.

Must go to bed now....goodnight Arturia!

Element
30 Oct 13, 05:37
Hi Element, Was wondering if you might know of any centres that teach Theravada tradition on the north side of Sydney?
Thanks Arturia

I am from the south side & have known well the centres there, around Newtown, Lewisham, Eastern Suburbs, etc.

I would suggest to try these Zen/Theravada affiliated groups:

http://bluegumsangha.org/

http://www.beaches-sangha.org/

I am well acquainted with the well-known teachers behind these groups. For me, trustworthiness is the key and these groups will be western & non-prejudiced. Subhana Barzaghi, a founding member, is a very nice women and most of the teachers also have backgrounds in counselling.

As for the Sakya group, I would probably not start there. I know nothing about the Kyegu Buddhist Institute; their website looks OK; the teachings appear to complex Vajrayana; but I have some reservations about Sakya (which I will not explain). If interested in Vajrayana, I would recommend the Vajrayana Institute at Ashfield but this is far from you.

In summary, the http://www.insightmeditationaustralia.org/ affiliated groups, such as Blue Gum, are very suitable for starters.

Kind regards

;D