PDA

View Full Version : I am to tired when I get home from work, what to do?

shaihulud
23 Oct 13, 14:55
When I come home after a long day at work (which is mentally demanding, not stressful) I am to tired to do something useful, so often I sit down and watch some TV series or play a computer game. When i get home my mind is not at peace and these things distracts it even more. Instead I want to paint, write, read or learn something...do something creative. I am a very creative person at heart.
Meditating when I get home can be the best tool. But if Im not in the mood it is very very hard to calm the mind and being tired I tend not to do it :( I could force myself into doing something creative but I feel that doesn´t deal with the real problem. I want to create because I want to! Forced creativity is almost pointless.
When I am not working as much it is much easier to become creative.
Another thing which makes this much more of a problem is that I live in Sweden. It becomes very dark. so I don´t get alot of sun :(

Anyone have similar experience and/or ideas how to approach this problem? Please, I really don´t want to be this kind of person, and I know I´m not.
I am also trying to eat healthier which have had some positive impact.

Element
23 Oct 13, 23:52
Another thing which makes this much more of a problem is that I live in Sweden. It becomes very dark. so I don´t get alot of sun :(
hi shaihulud

if possible, i would recommend exercise, such as a walk in the park or swim in (indoor) swimming pool, which can reinvigorate stagnant energy after a long day of mental desk work.

some days, i finish work tired and have the choice to catch a bus or walk 25 minutes, such as yesterday. the bus came early so i missed the bus and had no choice but to walk. after i finished the walk, i felt re-energised.

kind regards

;D

srivijaya
24 Oct 13, 09:29
I also suffer from tiredness but I've recently started Tai Chi and I'm astonished how much more energy it's given me. I also had issues with pain in one shoulder (old injury) which has now almost disappeared.

The beauty of it is, once you learn a bit, you don't have to venture outside into the darkness and grim weather. You can do it in the comfort of your home and it requires very little space. The movements are gentle but, done regularly, build bodily strength and increase flexibility.

If you sit at a screen, your body is being neglected. It needs movement and this will promote well being. It's a problem in western societies, as we tend to live in our heads and not consider that physical movement has much to offer us.

John923
24 Oct 13, 11:14
Exercise is good advice I think. Any kind really. Yoga, Tai Chi, Quigong, lite jogging. Anything really would be better than TV and video game distractions I think. The thing about those is even though they satisfy the need to go "do something", they really don't when it comes down to it and just end up draining even more of your energy away.

I used to have a very demanding job and I tried an experiment once. I forced myself to do breathing meditation every day when I got home, whether I really wanted to or not, it didn't matter. Even if I really didn't want to do it, I forced myself to do it. What was interesting was that after a couple weeks of doing that, I found I no longer needed to force myself to do it. I found myself looking forward to doing it because it completely wiped the day away and after that 1/2 hour it was like a whole new day, with all this new energy! It made the whole day easier as I knew that once I got home, I could just spend 1/2 hour doing that and it would be a whole brand new day. Almost like the workday, that drained all my energy, never even happened. It was hard at first because making yourself do something that you don't want to do can be difficult, but that only lasted a little while. The benefit of that 1/2 hour far outweighed anything to the contrary.

;D

shaihulud
24 Oct 13, 12:10
Thanks everyone for advice. I bike to my work (12km) so I do excercise. Which is one reason im abit exhausted when I arrive home. Maybe I should try to bike more slowly...but I like pushing myself.
Srivijaya - Tai Chi sounds like a great idea. I actually forgot I´ve been interested in starting it last year.
John923 - It is true that forcing might be necessary when starting to do something. I just feel like if I want to do something it should come easily...which i guess is kindof lazy ;-)

srivijaya
24 Oct 13, 22:00
I'd check what's available first as there are different styles, some "harder" and others "softer". It depends what you're after and what's happening where you live but I've gone the 'internal energy' route, without combat etc. I'm learning the 'form' and various exercises, which combine with the breath. It's quite addictive once you get into it. Especially when you start to 'feel' the results.

chg2winter
20 Nov 13, 18:48
I can relate. I want to reward myself for the day at work and zone out on a game for a few minutes...which ends up being longer, because I am too tired mentally to be creativily engaged.

For me, and perhaps this is a reflection of my age, but I like a nice 20 minute nap after work. That can help alot.

And avoiding going home -stop at a coffee shop or such instead and allow a creative thing to flow.

Esho
22 Nov 13, 01:42
Demanding jobs consume a lot of mind energy. I had one and decided to give it up because meditation was not improving. Earning less than before there is a lot more free room and easiness in the mind. Less to do has been a lot more better but I know this sounds odd and extreme.