PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, and searching.

OpenMindedGirl
25 Nov 10, 05:10
Hello there everyone. I'm here, I'm new, and I'm searching. Buddhism really interests me, and I'd like to learn as much as I can about it. I know quite a bit already, but I'd truly like to know anything you have to tell me.

fletcher
25 Nov 10, 06:51
Welcome :hands:

Aloka
25 Nov 10, 06:54
Welcome OpenMindedGirl, its good to hear from you and I hope you'll like it here !

Feel free to ask the group questions or start topics in the Buddhism for Beginners forum and we'll do our best to answer them.

There are also the other forums too -but its a good idea to check the forum descriptions first.

Looking forward to hearing from you again. ;D

Kind wishes,

Dazzle

Esho
25 Nov 10, 14:07
I know quite a bit already,

Wellcome to the forum OpenMindGirl,

Why don't you share with us what you know quite a bit...

;)

clw_uk
25 Nov 10, 14:19
Hope we can be of some help ;D

Feel free to ask anything

OpenMindedGirl
25 Nov 10, 14:40
Ha. Okay, perhaps saying that I knew a lot already was a little arrogant. The more I learn about Buddhism, the less I realize I actually *do* know. It is so completely backward from the materialistic, individualistic society that I've grown up in.

What do I know about it so for?

I know the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Three Gems...ect. I believe I know the basics. It's when it gets down to applying them and *truly* understanding and digging into the knowledge that I get caught up.

dhammachick
25 Nov 10, 19:39
Namaste OMG,

Welcome to the forums. I still consider myself a newbie and have found everyone here to be quite welcoming and helpful. I hope you enjoy your time here and find it as helpful as I am.

In metta,
Raven
:hands:

PS - Dazzle, I <3 that icon, it's adorable.

Cobalt
26 Nov 10, 01:08
I know the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Three Gems...ect. I believe I know the basics. It's when it gets down to applying them and *truly* understanding and digging into the knowledge that I get caught up.

When it comes down to it, those are what's important. A lot of the other teachings and exercises and dogma and discourses and stuff are basically just explanations of what those things mean, how to apply them, and assistance for people who are still working (which is basically everybody).

So yeah! You could actually keep yourself pretty busy with the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path alone. I know they keep me on my toes. :)

KoolAid900
27 Nov 10, 04:44
Hi :)

OpenMindedGirl
27 Nov 10, 17:28
Hi :)

Ha. Hi there. How are you?

Esho
27 Nov 10, 23:47
I know the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Three Gems...ect.

There is the idea that the Four Noble Truths are a simple teaching suitable for beginners... I think it is not. To understand deeply, to practice them and to discern the results can take the whole of your life and can bring mindfulness and true happiness to your life and the ones that surround you... I am not telling that the other teachings of the Buddha are not important. A deep understanding of the Four Noble Truths, which includes the practice of them, can open you, introduce you, prepare you to the understanding of other important teachings. But I have ever felt that we have enough to deal with, with the Four Noble Truths.

;)

OpenMindedGirl
28 Nov 10, 01:11
I know the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, the Three Gems...ect.

There is the idea that the Four Noble Truths are a simple teaching suitable for beginners... I think it is not. To understand deeply, to practice them and to discern the results can take the whole of your life and can bring mindfulness and true happiness to your life and the ones that surround you... I am not telling that the other teachings of the Buddha are not important. A deep understanding of the Four Noble Truths, which includes the practice of them, can open you, introduce you, prepare you to the understanding of other important teachings. But I have ever felt that we have enough to deal with, with the Four Noble Truths.

;)

Ha. Yes, when you think about the implications that the Four Noble Truths bring, it can sure keep you busy!

Esho
28 Nov 10, 02:41
Ha. Yes, when you think about the implications that the Four Noble Truths bring, it can sure keep you busy!

;D