PDA

View Full Version : Physical pain and Mental Pain

clw_uk
30 Oct 10, 18:37
Greetings friends

In this Sutta the Buddha teaches that physical pain need not give rise to mental pain (dukkha)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html#shot

However while reading this Sutta I began to wonder. Could this also mean that a mental event need not give rise to dukkha, in much the same way as it describes in this sutta in regards to physical pain

For example If I have an unpleasant though, can this be regarded in the same way as having an unpleasant physical sensation?

Thoughts?

metta

Aloka
30 Oct 10, 20:49
Hi Craig,

I think that perhaps when physical pain arises, we can notice/ be aware of the pain - but not trying to resist, nor analyse it, nor follow after it in general - we don't suffer mentally.

The same can be said for unpleasant thoughts - if we just relax and let them go again as they arise, without analysis or following after ,we don't experience any discontent.

Thoughts come and go.

Just a personal opinion though, others might have more to say. ;D

clw_uk
01 Nov 10, 15:23
I agree with your above post. On reading the Sutta again i have noticed that it says

"As he is touched by that painful feeling, he is resistant. Any resistance-obsession with regard to that painful feeling obsesses him.

So I would say that this does apply to mental events such as thoughts as well, since a thought can produce a painful feeling, albeit a mental one

Cloud
26 Dec 10, 13:36
In this Sutta the Buddha teaches that physical pain need not give rise to mental pain (dukkha)
However while reading this Sutta I began to wonder. Could this also mean that a mental event need not give rise to dukkha, in much the same way as it describes in this sutta in regards to physical pain
For example If I have an unpleasant though, can this be regarded in the same way as having an unpleasant physical sensation?Yes. A thought is no different than a sensation. They are both not self, experiences which eventually are seen as mind-objects as opposed to mind itself.

Esho
26 Dec 10, 15:16
The same can be said for unpleasant thoughts - if we just relax and let them go again as they arise, without analysis or following after ,we don't experience any discontent.

Thoughts come and go.

Sure, we tend to give more drama to mental discomfort or physical pain which brings us into a hellish experience that could have been avoided just as Dazz has told... Thoughts come and go.

;)