PDA

View Full Version : Completely New to Buddhism

tnagi
12 Feb 13, 13:12
Hello everyone, I am completely new to Buddhism and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should start reading. Any perfect books for the serious beginner?

I guess I'll share some of my background as well, since this is an introduction; I was raised a Christian and was seriously committed to my church for years up until I was about 21. At that point, I decided to start re-reading the Bible not as a believer but as a non-believer, and to see if the Bible seemed convincing. I found too many philosophical contradictions and slowly lost my faith in Biblical Christianity. I started college around that time too, and am now in my fourth year as an undergrad physics major. I have been married to my wife for 6 years and have a two year old son, whom I love more than anything. I also work (to support my family, of course!), so I am busy and often stressed.

One of the great things about being a member of a church was that there was a constant focus on how you were living your life, and how you could better serve others. I think the most important thing is to love others, but I lose my focus because of my busy life and the fact that I have no faith or community to keep me focused. I think that's what draws me to Buddhism now. That and the fact that you can be agnostic and be a Buddhist.

Aloka
12 Feb 13, 13:43
Hello and a warm welcome tnagi ! :wave:

Thank you for introducing yourself.

Hello everyone, I am completely new to Buddhism and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should start reading. Any perfect books for the serious beginner?

Would you mind asking questions in the 'Discovering Buddha's Teachings' forum, please. This area is just for introductions and welcomes .

There are some pinned introductory resources at the beginning of the threads in that forum and theres a recent suggested reading thread which also might be helpful to you at this link....

http://www.buddhismwithoutboundaries.com/showthread.php?3909-recommend-a-book

- and also there are various resources in threads in our Study Links section near the bottom of the main forums page.

with kind wishes

Aloka

tnagi
12 Feb 13, 15:05
Hello and a warm welcome tnagi ! :wave:

Thank you, and I will definitely check out the links!

woodscooter
12 Feb 13, 18:06
Hi tnagi,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter.

Esho
15 Feb 13, 05:51
Hello tnagi,

Welcome to BWB ;D

I read many books, but they didn't work for me. Being here I started to follow those who practice form the Nikayas and from there the understanding of what the Dhamma of Buddha is about was understood. The difference was outstanding.

Thinking about a serious begginer, the Majjhima, Anguttara and Samyutta Nikayas are, in my opinion, the best place.

To get started, maybe the Anguttara could be a good choice. Books never gave me the insight and that finesse touch needed to get really started into what are the very important teachings of Gotama Buddha. Reading the Nikayas are a wonderful and touching experience.

Befriending the Suttas (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bullitt/befriending.html) is a very useful document.

Also a Pali Canon Introduction (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/index.html) can be useful too.